Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was wondering if you guys could help me. I just purchased a 1969 Camaro with a big block, 4 speed, and HEI. After driving for an hour, the car would not start up until it cooled down. Plenty of voltage and no starter engagement, whine, or turning over. So I bought a Ford Solenoid. My starter solenoid had a purple wire with a metal push on connection (which looked really burned), a wire to the battery, and a wire from the solenoid to the starter.

Here is what I did:

1. Battery cable to left side of Ford solenoid
2. Starter Solenoid cable to right side of Ford Solenoid
3. Installed the metal jumper on the Starter Solenoid
4. Ran purple wire to "S" on Ford Solenoid (I cut off the burned connector)

The problem I have is when I go to the start the car, I only hear the whine from the starter and the vehicle does not even try to turn over...

Did I miss something somewhere? Does the solenoid need to get connected to the HEI somehow. I dont have a coil (its on top of the HEI).

I am new at this, so if someone could give me some insight on how to fix, that would be great! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
Thomas, you may have the Chev starter hooked up wrong.
The cable from the Ford solenoid should go to the top Chev solenoid post/stud.
A jumper then goes from the Chev solenoid top stud to the Chev solenoid S terminal.

Now when starter command is given, the Ford solenoid engages, applies power to Chev solenoid, Chev solenoid engages the Chev starter pinion and connects power to Chev motor.

I believe the Ford power cable to Chev starter may be on the bottom Chev solenoid stud as bottom stud is motor power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts