Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres tons of posts about noisy rockers, I just cant find anything like my issue. Its a 350 engine pretty much stock nothing fancy with 882 heads. At idle everything is smooth and quiet, when I rev it up (in park or drive) I start to get some clattering. Its right around 2000 RPM. Ive pulled the headers twice and tried different header gaskets, also the collector gaskets thinking exhaust leak. Ive also adjusted the rockers twice with the engine off. I was thinking maybe try it running, but like I said its quiet at idle so not sure if that would be worth it. Just need some more ideas with this. Forgot to mention oil pressure is good at all RPM.

Thanks
Jesse

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Well next is to take off the intake and check to see if there is a lobe worn on the lifter/cam. This is not unusual these days with no zinc in the oil. All I can think of at this time.

I've had 3 blown motors from this....

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Need more Info. Is this a new build. Or if not how many miles on the motor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yesterday I threw on some gloves and soaked a towel in water and started grabbing header tubes right at the flange checking for an exhaust leak. And what do ya know I was able to find a small leak. So header and gasket are coming off again! Surprisingly enough this worked pretty well, it muffled the sound just enough. It does get hot and you need to soak the towel often.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yesterday I threw on some gloves and soaked a towel in water and started grabbing header tubes right at the flange checking for an exhaust leak. And what do ya know I was able to find a small leak. So header and gasket are coming off again! Surprisingly enough this worked pretty well, it muffled the sound just enough. It does get hot and you need to soak the towel often.
I always used a piece of hollow plastic tubing to listen for problems. Or a wooden rod to pinpoint internal engine noises.

I've never heard of grabbing a hot exhaust pipe. If it's ceramic coated you might damage the finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts