Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My battery was dead and my neighbor came over with his BIG charger/starter. I didn't watch him hook up the charger to the battery but he had done it backwards. When he hit the switch I heard a pop. After that everything was dead. What did we fry??? Alternator, voltage regulator, fusible link or something else?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Hopefully just the fusible link. Disconnect your positive cable from the battery and then use a meter to check for continuity between the battery end of the cable and the junction at the horn relay.

Geez. You live in Mechanicsville and you can't find a good one?:D

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to tell but it's common to blow the diodes in the alternator. Any solid state device in the vehicle could have been damaged. You'll just have to get it going again and see what works and what doesn't.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
John, what car? what year? all original alt. and wiring? how old is the battery? all the info. can help guide folks to reply that have been there, done that :)

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Still don't know what that "pop" was but installed new battery and all seems normal.:)
Great!

Next order of business: Install a cheap disconnect so the next time you need to charge the battery someone can't take out the stuff that got off lucky this time. Batteries will usually charge a little better disconnected from everything anyway.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
I have that negative disconnect and its a very good item to have. With old elec. systems like ours, you never know when a wire will short out somewhere under the hood or under the dash and run down the battery. Everytime I turn of the engine, I unscrew that green bolt cap and now the system cannot discharge. Its also security at a motel if you are on a trip. Car wont start without it.
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts