Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. I have a 69 Firebird. It has a Chevy 350 Block ( 408 Stroker). Builder that built motor said blocks he uses are 88 or newer. I have Hooker Super Competition ceramic coated full length headers( 2131-1). Clearance on headers by steering box is maybe 1/8 inch. Does have polyurethane motor mounts. Shop doing my car said had to dimple header at pitman arm. But over on Idler side is hitting badly. I am going to try going with 69 Camaro steering linkage, they are different from Firebird. Wow cant believe these companies cant make headers to fit these basic minor chevy swap motor into firebird. ANYBODY out there who has 350 in their 69 Camaro have full length Hooker ( 2131-1) or even Hedman headers on their car? And if so what did you have to do. I was thinking of Rack and Pinion because actually 69 Firebird can only have rack and pinion with Steeroids, Unisteer, and others if they have Chevy motor. Which I do. Than what happens, I call them to see if will fit and than of course they say Headers will probably be issue. MY GOD, how many people go through the change of a chevy motor into their Firebird with stock headers? Really. Any how many people with 383 use stock headers in their Camaro, I don't understand these companies, there is surely no doubt in my mind that if someone is going with 383 they are not going with stock headers. If it is not one thing its another. PLEASE what to do. This is complete frame off custom car I am having built. I have ALL brand new parts. Awesome AGR quick ratio steering box. If need to get rack and pinion, I suppose I will, but which one? Thanks. Jerry. Also, and than you got Smith Racecraft who has bolt on front steer, oops, but wait a minute, you also have to cut your subframe up in to 36 pieces and than drill 47 holes. But it is bolt on. Really. I have done concrete for 26 years, cant imagine saying to a homeowner all these extra things that would need to be done, I believe they would look at me and say, WOW, forget it, we will go with just gravel or asphalt. I'm just saying.

·
19,873 Posts
I can't really help with the fitment issue, but can tell you what a buddy did.

A buddy of mine was having issues with header fitment and power steering in his 67.
After a half dozen or so fails, he ended up buying a pair that was close, modified them (easier/cheaper than building), sent to Jet-Hot, and had them coated.

"MAY" be an option ?

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Rack and pinion conversion is a huge step backwards imho.

Don

Reactions: Z06vette

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I did the same as Doug described. issues with pitman and idler arm. made adjustments, then coated with cerakote

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I had the hooker super comps. No way they were going to fit with my AFR heads.
I hear Doug’s fit well.
My dynatech fit with no hammer work, but they don’t make them anymore

If you’re doing a full custom’frame off build, I wouldn’t put hammer fit headers on it.
Call Lemmons or Stahl and get headers that fit.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts