Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...umm I just got an 87' Camaro Z28 for my 16th birthday....I have no clue about cars...but all i know is this one is pretty and fast..and its black with gold stripes..alli know about my car is..that its a v-8 5.o liter...dual exhaust..w/t-tops...can anyone else help me with knowing more about my car?...like...horsepower and stuff..and all the jazz..okay thanks everyone

Christine..im not even a "camaroqueeN"..im such a loser..haha

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
hmm, its most likely a 305 cubic inch Tuned Port Injected engine.
700-r4 transmission
7.5" 10 bolt rear, most likely a peg leg 2.73.
I'm i on Q so far guys?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks..so what exactly does all that mean?......i bet you guys are all..WHY IS SHE EVEN ASKINg....i feel so dumb
.....anyways..if you guys are annoyed or anything..i would understand if you guys didnt help me out..but so far..thanks...what does horsepower exactly mean?

MANY THANK YOU'S!!
Christine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yea...another thing you guys might help me is...finding like..websites..or other places where i can read up on camaros and stuff...i looked..but i guess im not cool enough to find anythign useful..well anyways..thanks again

CHristine

·
Registered
92 Posts
We will be happy to help you out anyway we can. On behalf of everybody here welcome to our world
We help everybody. From old farts to the next generation of car owners. Everybody has to learn somehow and there are no stupid questions. Goodluck with your new Camaro.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A 5.0 liter is 305 cubic inches. Most of us refer to the engine's displacement in cubic inches. A 700r4 is a automatic transmission with 4 forward gears and 4th gear being an overdrive. A peg leg refers to an open differental in the rear axle(your drive axle) 2.73 is the rear axle gear ratio. 7.5" 10 bolt stands for a 7.5" ring gear in the rear axle and 10 bolt is how many bolts there are that bolt the rear cover on to the axle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS!

well heres the thing..im 16 wanting a new car and we see this 81' Jaguar...burgundy..and i was all hey..i want that car...so my dad goes to the guy...and we find out that it had a chevy engine put into it replacing the original one i guess..so the owner was all yea it works but hold on i gotta do a little something to it...so..to make this short..he lied to us saying that it worked..the car never worked int he first place
...o well..so then i was all sad..

So There i was all sad again...and me and my friends were "chillin" and we all have this facination with the classic 80's Mullet...ya knwo the hair cute..short in front long in back?...well we all say that every guy that has a mullet must have a CAMARO...and i was all SWEET i wanta camaro..

so next day my moms driving downt he street and she see's this big black car...no idea what kind it is..and she just bought it..basically cuase it looked liek a strong car ..strong enough that if i got in an accident i wouldnt get hurt that bad..ANYWAYs..so thats my life story me and my camaro..camaro and me...

I just want to say thanks again for "welcoming" me ig uess...im just a girl..so i dont knwo that much..but im really into knowing more about my car..thanks again

i'll catch you all on the flipside i guess ahha

Christine

·
Registered
980 Posts
2.73 is a little low for the gears. I have my money on 3.23's. Lot's of those cars came with possi's too. I'm not sure if any of this is helping though.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Spames Tha lower the # the higher the gear. Was you thinking backwards

·
Registered
172 Posts
Christine,

Welcome to the board & congratulations on your new car. Don't worry about what you don't know about cars; just start learning and asking questions.

Everyone here will help you out as best you can. Cars are not terribly hard to understand--well, the basics anyway. The great thing is once you get started, it's one of those subjects that you never get finished with. There's always more to learn & try.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i just wrote an article about 3rd gen (82-92) firebirds, since the 3rd gen camaro and firebird are pretty much the same as far as power-train goes this article might be useful. i will send it to your e-mail.

·
Super Moderator
32,900 Posts
Welcome to the club, cold drinks in the frig....

If you hear it once, I'm sure you'll hear it a thousand times....."Check the oil and water, don't let them get low"

Any questions, as Angie said, we'll be happy to answer....

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
565 Posts
CamaroQueen,
Many people actually buy older Jags and put Chevrolet 350 V8 engine in them. The 350 is more reliable than the original motor. I have a bud who is building one for his 65 year old mother.

You made the right decision to get the 87 Camaro.

The car can be made to go faster easily.
You can put a killer stereo in it.

Just don't put a bra on it.

------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh you guys are so cool...thanks so much....i dont think i would ever put a bra on my car though....but it does look a bit scratched down there
..haha...i'm gonna start reading up on my car..hehe..maybe someday I'll truely be able to honestly say im the "queeN" of camaros..and yea i have thsi pioner detachable face cd play in my car..its okay..but i have sucky speakers so i get no bass in my car..haha..and my t-tops leak!...and i live in oregon..so its always raining here..what can ya do..*sigh*...

thanks again

Christine

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
mullets! lol, i'm 17 so no way would i have one of them. is there something you guys arent telling me?
well my first advice to learn about your car is to have a good friend help you fix some important problems on your car, like the T-top leak you mentioned.
As for the sterio, heh i have the original one in my 67', it doesnt work becuase of the antenna, kinda glad i dont have a CD player for it yet, i'm a Fear Factory fan so i'd probably drive a little crazy listening to them!

·
Registered
207 Posts
i thought it would have been tbi not tpi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts