Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was fowarded to me from my car club. Looks like the old smog check bill is making a return.....:sad:

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

California Introduces Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests
for Vehicles 15-Years Old and Older

Here we go again! Legislation (A.B. 616) has been introduced in the California Assembly by Assemblyman Dave Jones to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616. The bill has been referred to the Assembly Transportation Committee.

We Urge You to Contact Assemblyman Jones and members of the Assembly Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 616

A.B. 616 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.

A.B. 616 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

A.B. 616 would increase costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.

A.B. 616 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.
Please contact members of the California Assembly Transportation Committee immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their opposition to A.B. 616.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to [email protected]. Thank you for your assistance.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_0601-0650/ab_616_bill_20070221_introduced.html

Assembly Transportation Committee

Pedro Nava, Chair
Telephone: (916) 319-2035
Fax: (916) 319-2135
Email: [email protected]

Michael D. Duvall, Vice-Chair
Telephone: (916) 319-2072
Fax: (916) 319-2172

Wilma Amina Carter
Telephone: (916) 319-2062
Fax: (916) 319-2162

Mike DeSaulnier
Telephone: (916) 319-2011
Fax: (916) 319-2111

Cathleen Galgiani
Tel: (916) 319-2017
Fax: (916) 319-2117

Martin Garrick
Telephone: (916) 319-2074
Fax: (916) 319-2174

Shirley Horton
Telephone: (916) 319-2078

Guy S. Houston
Telephone: (916) 319-2015
Fax: (916) 319-2115

Bob Huff
Telephone: (916) 319-2060
Fax: (916) 319-2160

Betty Karnette
Telephone: (916) 319-2054

Anthony J. Portantino
Telephone: (916) 319-2044
Fax: (916) 319-2144

Ira Ruskin
Telephone: (916) 319 - 2021
Fax: (916) 319 – 2121

Jose Solorio
Telephone: (916) 319-2069
Fax: (916) 319-2169

Nell Soto
Telephone: (916) 319-2061
Fax: (916) 319-2161

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
With the power my Gremlin and Pacer make there is no way they will pass the smog test. Probably blow the machine sky high with all that power. I have had it... I am moving !

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Time to move to oregon.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Due to the importance of this bill, can you please post a copy in the General tech forum too?
I think a large number of members will miss this if it's not posted their as well.

My email was sent to the entire list, the fax is rolling now and the phone calls will start after lunch.

Thank you.

Rich

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Why do you think this bill is such a bad idea?
I live in SoCal and do not like smog. I don't like being on the freeway behind junkers that billow smog. I won't live inland or the foothills becuase of poor air quality. Respitory illness and asthma is a serious illness that is on the rise.
As far as I can see this bill does not affect what I consider vintage cars, i.e.1975 and older.
All it does is require an annual, instead of biennial, smog check on cars that already require it, for years 1976-1992. It does not change which cars get checked, just how often the older ones do.
This bill could do alot to get all those high mileage, oil burning, smog producing Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans repaired properly or taken off the road one year earlier than they would currently get tagged.

·
Registered
652 Posts
BILL NUMBER: AB 616 INTRODUCED BILL TEXTINTRODUCED BY Assembly Member Jones FEBRUARY 21, 2007 An act to add Section 44012.5 to the Health and Safety Code,relating to air pollution. LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST AB 616, as introduced, Jones. Smog check: annual inspection. (1) Existing law establishes a motor vehicle inspection andmaintenance (smog check) program, developed, implemented, andadministered by the Department of Consumer Affairs. The smog checkprogram provides for the inspection of a motor vehicle, among inother circumstances, upon its registration, upon transfer ofownership, and for vehicles registered in certain areas of the state,biannually. The department is required to charge a fee to a smogcheck station for each motor vehicle inspection, as provided.Violations of the smog check constitute a criminal violation of law. Existing law creates the High Polluter Repair or Removal Account,and makes available, upon appropriation by the Legislature, all moneyin the account to the State Air Resources Board and the departmentto establish and implement a program for the repair or replacement ofhigh polluting motor vehicles. This bill would require the department to incorporate annualinspection of motor vehicles 15 or greater model years old into themotor vehicle inspection and maintenance program by July 1, 2008, andwould require funds generated through additional inspection fees tobe deposited into the High Polluter Repair or Removal Account.Because violations of the smog check program are a crime, the billwould impose a state-mandated local program. The bill would exempt all motor vehicles not subject to annualinspection, and would require the department to develop a methodologyto exempt vehicles or classes of vehicles likely to pass annualinspection. (2) The California Constitution requires the state to reimburselocal agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by thestate. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making thatreimbursement. This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by thisact for a specified reason. Vote: majority. Appropriation: no. Fiscal committee: yes.State-mandated local program: yes.THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS: SECTION 1. Section 44012.5 is added to the Health and Safety Code,to read: 44012.5. (a) The department shall incorporate annual inspectionof motor vehicles 15 or greater model years old into the motorvehicle inspection and maintenance program by July 1, 2008. (b) All funds generated through additional inspection fees shallbe deposited into the High Polluter Repair or Removal Account createdby Section 44091. (c) (1) All motor vehicles not subject to biannual inspectionshall also be exempt from annual inspection. (2) The department shall develop a methodology to exempt vehiclesor classes of vehicles likely to pass annual inspection. SEC. 2. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant toSection 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution becausethe only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or schooldistrict will be incurred because this act creates a new crime orinfraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penaltyfor a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of theGovernment Code, or changes the definition of a crime within themeaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the CaliforniaConstitution.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think you guys need to continue read part (c) (1) All motor vehicles not subject to biannual inspection shall also be exempt from annual inspection.. What it's saying is IF your car doesn't requires a biannual inspection YOU are EXEMPT. Key word is EXEMPT. My car is a 1967 and doesn't require a biannual inspection so it won't change. Let me know if I'm reading this wrong.
Thanks Ed,

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,532 Posts
"Health and Safety Code 44011. (a) All motor vehicles powered by internal combustion engines that are registered within an area designated for program coverage shall be required biennially to obtain a certificate of compliance or noncompliance, except for all of the following:
(1) Every motorcycle, and every diesel-powered vehicle, until the epartment, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures applicable to motorcycles or to diesel-powered vehicles, or both.
(2) Any motor vehicle that has been issued a certificate of compliance or noncompliance or a repair cost waiver upon a change of ownership or initial registration in this state during the preceding six months.
(3) Any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year.
(4) (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), any motor vehicle four or less model-years old."

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks Mike,
I thought I read that correctly. So we have nothing to worry about if we have a pre 1976 model.

Ed

·
Retired
26,741 Posts
Due to the importance of this bill, can you please post a copy in the General tech forum too?
I think a large number of members will miss this if it's not posted their as well.

My email was sent to the entire list, the fax is rolling now and the phone calls will start after lunch.

Thank you.

Rich
Off topic - more a note to myself and Al, we have to work on forum names and discriptors under the forum names. Camaro Tech has always been a catch all or overflow forum when someone doesn't know where to post a question. It was never intended as a primary forum for posting info...

·
Retired
26,741 Posts
"Health and Safety Code 44011. (a) All motor vehicles powered by internal combustion engines that are registered within an area designated for program coverage shall be required biennially to obtain a certificate of compliance or noncompliance, except for all of the following:
(1) Every motorcycle, and every diesel-powered vehicle, until the epartment, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures applicable to motorcycles or to diesel-powered vehicles, or both.
(2) Any motor vehicle that has been issued a certificate of compliance or noncompliance or a repair cost waiver upon a change of ownership or initial registration in this state during the preceding six months.
(3) Any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year.
(4) (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), any motor vehicle four or less model-years old."
Thank you for reading and finding this it will be a big help when others hear of the bill in coming weeks...

Side note: In CA only stick shift cars got a smog pump in 1969...

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Thank you for reading and finding this it will be a big help when others hear of the bill in coming weeks... [/QUOTE

You're welcome...

Now lets get back to banning Dihydrogen Monoxide, it's a much bigger threat to vintage cars.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts