Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here! First I'd like to say, I love the site. Lots of useful information and everybody seems real nice and very helpful.:thumbsup:

Well, I'm a 33 year old So. California native. I love it! It's always cruising weather. I've owned two Camaros in my days. A 1999 Z28 and a 2001 SS (I loved that car!). Unfortunately, 2 Camaros + 2 accidents = No more Camaros for me:(. Neither one my fault by the way. And fortunately no major injuries. Now I'm ready to get back on the horse! I've been in search of my first 1st Generation Camaro. Preferably a 1969 Z28! Hey, if you're gonna do it, do it right! Right? I've also been doing A LOT of research to learn what to look for in an authentic Z28. This site has definitely helped me with that.

Now I'm a do it yourself kind of guy. And am pretty handy in the garage. So I've been looking for a fixer. But they are pretty hard to find. And the ones I do find carry a pretty steep price tag. And seeing as how I'm pretty busy with work and the kids, I know i wouldn't get much time to work on it. And it would probably take years to get it to where I want it to be. So that makes me just want to find one that's already been restored and just start driving. I'll figure it out I guess. Anyway, I'm glad I found this site and I look forward to learning as much as i can about these great cars. Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from OHIO.:) The first generation Z28 is one sweet car the best Z28 of all.:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Welcome Luis from Northern California! Nice to hear your looking for a 69Z, the mecca of all camaros! I too was looking for one when I picked up my recent 69, but at the time, they were too much $$ for my pocketbook...(about 20K about 4 years ago...LOL) If I knew what the prices were going to be now....I would have bought 2 of them....LOL... I am happy with what I got thou:)...One of the best parts about having one of these cars is the quest to find one....:thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome Luis from one So. Cal member to another. What part of So. Cali are you from? :waving:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!:thumbsup:

Camaro Dave-I'm out in Riverside County. How about you?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!:thumbsup:

Camaro Dave-I'm out in Riverside County. How about you?
Luis, I am in Ventura County just across the LA./ Ven line.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great to hear it! I would first grab a piece of paper, and write yourself down how far you want to go with this, and how much you are willing to spend.

Do you want a full blown restoration? Do you just want a sunday car that is reliable, in good shape, to drive around? Just a clunker to kill the time with?

Really these questions will influence what you buy. For a full blown restoration, you're basically looking for a rolling chassis and building up from there. For a reliable sunday cruise, find one on ebay thats already running and in good shape, with minimal rust damage. A clunker, just find the cheapest one you can find and fix it piece by piece.

My camaro when I bought it had a great shell, but was a nightmare electrically and mechanically, so I had to deal with months upon months upon months passing by where I didn't get to so much as drive my 79 around the block. It's the price you pay when you do things yourself and you want to do them the right way.

Sounds like you're looking for a reliable sunday driving car... Fully restored would be pretty expensive, I'd look for one that is mechanically sound, body in good shape, but aesthetically not the best of shape so all you'd have to do is some body work and interior work. You could always buy one that's not running, and just put a newer gen crate motor and tranny in. It would never be a resto, but you'd have a very reliable, fuel efficient car. I'm looking to buy an older plymouth 'cude as my next project, and thats probably what I am going to do with that one.

Best of luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts