Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to this forum but have followed these things for awhile... My name is Dominic and I live in California! I'm 18 and have an awesome passion for cars! Right now I'm in the process of going through my grandma 97 Camaro... I'm pretty sure its just the base model... Its a v6 with only 86000 miles... Its been sitting for 3 years and finally convinced her to let me work on it! :) I go to college taking auto and welding classes... I have just replaced the water pump thermostat radiator hose new performance brakes all the way around all new fluids using synthetic oil... Now I need to do the spark plugs wires coil packs and I am having a hard time figuring out how to get to the spark plugs... So maybe someone can help me with that possibly! Thank you very much!

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Welcome aboard. Plug replacement on those years are a known PITA. Throw a posting out in the fourth generation forum to see if someone has found a better way of pulling and replacing the plugs then doing so from below.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Thank you for replying! Ok cool now were would I find that exactly??
That would be the 4th Gen Forums in the 'Team Camaro Tech' area ;)

Here's a past thread with some of the info you're asking for - http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59100
Yes, this thread is a Z28 ... but the V-6 is almost the same - just 2 plugs 'easier' :D

The trick is to do it from under the vehicle (with it firmly supported on stands or ramps!) and to use the right combo of socket, swivel(s) and wrenches to make access possible.
I like to use a plug socket with a wrench shape on the top and turn it with a end wrench if possible - makes me feel like it works better than trying to swing the ratchet in the same area.

Be sure to use only the OEM type GM/AC-Delco Plugs!
I've had nothing but trouble with 'missfire' codes when trying other brands for some reason ...

Oh, and Welcome to Team CAMARO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!!! Yea today I spent 6 hours almost on the car at college today..................... 4 spark plus and wires....... Yep lol so tomorrow is the finishing day!!!! Thank you again!!!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Welcome aboard!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts