Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 camaro with a v6 2.8 engine and i went out to start it last week and it wouldn't start so i checked the starter and alternator, and battery are ok, so it isn't that but i think it is the ignition module? When i went to start it i looked under the hood and a part started smoking on the passenger side next to the engine. I think it was the ignition module that fryed but i am not sure as i can't find much info. on it. I am not sure if that is the part but after looking at in and then in my chilton's manual that is what I think it is. It has a wire to the distributor cap? would that be correct, and what would cause it to fry? and how hard is it to replace?
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds like the coil to me. About the size of a small fist. If it was smoking, it probably is bad. Mark down the positions of all the wires and remove. Take it to a local parts shop and they can test it usually. Good luck. These things can get aggravating sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey i can't figure out how to get it off, the bolts seem to be impossible to get to. How hard is it to take off? Can you tell me how to do it. The manual just says take the bolts off, but it isn't that easy. I can't figure it out. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
820 Posts
the 85 2.8 has HEI, take a medium sized regular screw driver and remove the cap, (4 screws,) push down hard on the screws and they will rotate, the cap will then come off, the coil should be in the cap. and is held on by 4 phillips screws

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you said the smoke was coming from beside the engine, that wasn't a coil problem.I would recomend speeking to a qualified mechanic or maybe talking to a partsman at your lacal Chev. dealer.They might be able to help you figure out exactly witch part you are haveing trouble with.In most cases, they may even tell you the easiest way to fix the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts