Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a water pump for my big block that's going in my '69. Any recommendations on a quality hi-flow unit? Are the ones from summit and/or Milodon decent units? The application is for the street. thanks much

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cmrib - I checked out your ride and I'm REALLY digging on your brushed aluminum valve covers. Very sweet. Thanks for the tip although I must admit the Edelbrock Victor series water pumps are a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Does anyone know of any moderately priced (around $80-$90) hi-flow water pumps that flow well and are reliable for a 98% daily driver 2% hold on oh [email protected]!! ride?

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Registered
36 Posts
A buddy of mine has run a Flow Kooler on his BB for 3 years ,with no problems. I think they for around 90.00 from Summit or Jegs.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Stewart makes a few different "stage" pumps that I have heard good things about. If you order one from Jegs or Summit, make sure they have it in stock though. I think Stewart maybe having a little shipping problem.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
304 Posts
last year I had a summit hi flow water pump on my 79 .after a week the hub the pulley and fan bolt to pull off . summit replaced the pump ,I replaced the pulley ,fan ,shroud ,and radiator $ .2nd pump did the same thing 1 month later,I got a refund and had to replace the same parts again . So I put a plate in a stock pump and never had another problem .I think I paid 100.00 for the summit pump ,a plate and stock pump was about 40.00 !
good luck

------------------
stock? 67
69BB in resto.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Your local GM High Performance Parts Boys have a nice Hi flow water pump. I used one on my BB and it works fine. I used the "shorty" style.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for the great info guys...I checked out the Stewart site and their Stage 1 looks like the ticket. Also, they do have a "shipping" problem - per their website, they had a fire in their warehouse and aren't accepting orders until Dec. 1. You'd think there will be a significant amount of backorders...so it will probably take until January before they're able to turn their product around quickly.

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Registered
185 Posts
Stewart offers excellent high quality pumps. I ran one for years on a ford engine and now on my current sb chevy engine. Just make sure you buy a Robert shaw high flow thermostat. These pumps flow so well that they can actually force close a normal style thermostat. (I didn't belive it either until after installing their pump) Stewart furter modifies their thermostats by drilling 3 3/16" holes on the side of popet housing, but this is easilly done at home. Their factory did burn to the ground, however call lane automotive or go to www.laneautomotive.com I just purchased one of their last aluminum sb long style pumps, but the sales guy said he had plenty in stock for the big block. Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts