Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 z28. I notice the temp gauge goes high when I`m on the highway. If I drive around on the city, it runs cool. I have a350c.i.d. engine out of a 1980 chevy k10.It never ran hot in the truck. It has about 5,000 miles on it since the rebuild to stock spec.s. I replaced the t-stat , but it didn`t help. I verified it runs hot with a laser thermometer.I have a shroud still there. The radiator is a four row. I stiil have the thermostatic fan cluth and it is not too old either. The coolant is 50/50 mix. The mechanical fan is pulling air from the radiator. The engine tachs out abit higher in the car than in the truck, probably due to the gearing in the rear end, but it is only the stock 3.42:1 gear ratio. It has a turbo 350 auto tranny. Timing is at 8 degrees BTDC. I`m not sure what I`m missing. Any help from fellow Chevy guys would be appreciated. P.S. It has A/C and the condenser is not blocked. The A/C can be off and she`ll still heat up to 230 - 240 degrees , then I get off highway and she cools right down, especially if I stop and idle??? Please help... Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post. Sincerely, Ken

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
hay ken Welcome where are u from in Ct ? Im in CT (west haven ) Im running a little hot with my 350 in my 67 im putting in a bigger radiator soon . hope to see u around CT do you belong to CTFB Assoc
tony

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
When the clutch fan works, all is good. But as Jeff pointed out, they can cause this type of prob.

Also, check the hoses, esp the lower one. Had a bud a while back who was having the same thing happen to him...one of the hoses was caving in on him, restricting the water flow...and of course you'ved checked the obvious.. the thermostat, eh?

capt

·
Super Moderator
32,605 Posts
Welcome, either the higher rear gear is causing more heat due to higher rpms, or the clutch fan is engaged at high rpm. It should disengage at about 3K rpm.

If clutch is engaged, you should hear the fan pulling air. Fan turning can be blockage at speed/high rpm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts