Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like thousands of other members here.

Just a quick rundown. I bought the car in November 1987 when I was in 11th grade from a Cleveland, OH sports announcer for his asking price of $250. Which at the time I felt was over priced. It was a running and driving 68' with a 327 (275hp), factory air (it worked), glide trans and deluxe interior.

I drove it through the winter and in the spring I pulled the 327 because of a wiped out cam. I dropped in a 400 and drove it for the summer. The car had half quarters screwed over top of the factory ones and the seams were mudded in. I decided in September 1988 that it was time to pull it apart for my first frame up.

Immediately I sandblasted the tub and frame. I rebuilt the frame and primed the tub. Like the credit card commercial says "life comes at you fast" and before I knew it 4 years had past. I was getting married and had a son. Then more family and work matters took all of my attention. 8 more years came and went and I that I did to the Camaro was move it to clean the garage every spring.

During that time my wife delivered a beautiful baby girl and we bought our new home in a good school system.

Fast forward to May 2009. The original 327 done. Trans done. Body work begun. August 31st 2009 body done and car painted. Thursday September 10th vinyl top installed.

Now I'm heading out in the garage to run brake lines to my new booster and master cylinder. Tomorrow will bring the install of motor and trans.

It feels like I'm finally waking from a dream.

Hope I didn't bore anyone with this drivel.

·
19,749 Posts
JP, congrats on everything so far.... We know the love affair with our cars is never ending...as you well know :D...Need to post up some pics of before and after :beers:

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
With all the time past how old are your grand children are they going to be able to drive it.As you can see I am a little lost here. You were I guess about 17 when you got it how old are you now and how many years have you been with the 68.When do you think you will have it on the road post some pics of your progress....

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Great story JP, I am sure there are a lot of people here that did not pay $250 for their first Camaro....a few pictures of your car would be nice, we all like pictures..:yes:

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
There's help for addicts!! Welcome!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hi Jason, glad your here .The story sounds very familiar.

Addicted......Who is addicted ? Its not me.....I do not have a camaro problem !!! Just ask anyone !!!! ;):thumbsup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
welcome jason, i think im a bigger addict than you my cars are daily drivers and i hate every other make car etc other than camaro...i cant tell you how areboic i have been in my cars of the years with woman too many some id close my eyes real tight and wonder how the heck i could have done anything with that woman, than there the 1 i married lol take care ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally some updates and thanks for all of the warm welcomes. I can't believe almost 9 months has passed since I posted!

I posted some of my pics from our first summer together to as current as a few months back. When I got the car it was Butternut yellow with a black vinyl top and white custom deluxe interior. I did the poor man's Starsky and Hutch around June of 1988.

There are also a few more pics in my album on this website or you can check out everything I'm into through my photobucket http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/JPaterchak/1968 Camaro/?start=20

I'm finishing up a Jeep Wrangler build for a paying customer that will help cover the cost of my new evaporator core and lines. Thought about the block off, but hey if I waited 22 years now whats a few more months to do it correctly.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
OK dont panic.
you did the right thing by coming here to admit you have a problem.
and you're right there are thousands here like you
they are waiting on a cure but so far we haven't come up with one ;)
so you may as well get comfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only photos of the car I could find from back in the day. Sorry the body work came out too straight Not to paint it black. I got a lot of inspiration from a guy on youtube called rarerat aka Nick. Seeing him whip out restorations on his Camaros got me motivated.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I hear ya on your quest. I've had my current 67 since 86 and I've been through 3 engines, 2 tranny's and 2 rear ends. The engine/tranny combo was based on what I was doing at the time (track 1/4 mile, street racing, daily driving, etc).

I hope you've enjoyed your car as much as I've enjoyed mine through the years (decades???)...

FWIW: Since 1974 I've had 6 67's, 2 68's and 2 69's. Yeah, it's a love affair. The 67 I currently have I kept cuz it's a loaded boat (see sig)...

An anecdote: The best 327 I ever built was based on an 010 4-bolt block bored .030 over (large journal 327 crank and 12.5:1 TRW pistons) with 292 turbo heads (2.02I/1.60E), TH350 with 3500 stall and 4.11:1 10 bolt all stuffed into a gutted 68 Chevy II. I spent ~40 hours blueprinting that engine/head combination. The roller cam I used (mind you this was 1987) allowed operation past 8K rpm. I won a lot of $$$ with that combo. It was a high 10/low 11 second ride...

After my 1st rat motor (1988) I sold all the SBC stuff and never looked back...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It really started for me in the mid 70's when my dad bought my sister a 69 Camaro for her graduation gift. She didn't have it a month when her then boyfriend and artist decided it was time to paint it black. Then he hand painted the darkside of the moon album cover art on each side.

Since then I owned 4-68 Camaros (1 BB, 1 6Cyl and 2 327's) also had a 67 in there somewhere, but as the saying goes if there isn't pictures it didn't happen. I had 3 of them at once and decided to keep the one with a/c.

Thanks again guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts