Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my A/C all recharged and alum. welded where it leaked, but now we find the 4th position for the fan, HIGH, wont work. The first 3 positions work fine. Is there a seperate fuse for the high speed? Or could a relay have the high speed end burned out?
Cant be too much I would think.
Thanks for any ideas.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,Close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
523 Posts
Should be a separate power line for the high speed. Look along the fire wall behind the engine for an in-line fuse. Fuse may be good but sometimes the fuse holder gets a little messed up.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I check fuse in line that goes to heater blower, the fuse is right next to the connection, as well as the fuse in the panel under the steering wheel, both are ok. If no other ideas guess I try to decipher the elec. section of the assembly manual. There is a 2nd double wire plug going into the fender side of the heater box in addition to the 4 wire plug on top. Any ideas what that double wire plug is for?
thanks
click

------------------
fold down rear seat.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Click, I had a similar problem with the '69 RSSS convertible I had. All the lower speeds would work fine but the high speed wouldn't. The problem with mine was in the wiring not the fuse. The bad connection was located on or near the heater box on the passenger side near the firewall. There was some kind of connection near the fuse that had a bad or broken wire. They found the bad connection, corrected it, and it worked great.
Donnie...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Click, I had a similar problem with the '69 RSSS convertible I had. All the lower speeds would work fine but the high speed wouldn't. The problem with mine was in the wiring not the fuse. The bad connection was located on or near the heater box on the passenger side near the firewall. There was some kind of connection near the fuse that had a bad or broken wire. They found the bad connection, corrected it, and it worked great.
Donnie...

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
With the key on and the fan switch in high. Unplug the 4 wire connector from the fan relay on the top of the evaporator box in the engine compartment.

Check for voltage at the 12 gauge orange terminal. If good your getting 12V from the battery, if not your fuse or fuse holder is bad.

Check for voltage at the 18 gauge orange terminal. If your not getting 12V then you have a problem with your fan switch on the dash, or the wiring between thw switch and this connector. If you are getting 12V (at both orange wires) then the relay is probably bad.

The relay coil is picked up by 12V between the 18 gauge orange and 12 gauge black wires. This closes a contact between the 12 gauge orange and 12 gauge purple wires. 12 Volts (some amount of current really) flows from the battery, through the fuse, through the contact, to a terminal on the blower motor resistor, and on to the fan motor.

Plug everything back together and toggle the switch in and out of high. If you can't hear the relay clicking when you put the switch in high, it's dead.

The two prong connector on the other side of the evaporator is the low temperature cut off switch. It will open if the air temperature gets down to 29 degrees or so and cuts off power to the compressor clutch. It keeps the evaporator from freezing up. Doesn't have anything to do with the blower circuit.
------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 06-29-2002).]

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mark just what I needed to process this electricaly with my meter. Will report back.
click

------------------
fold down rear seat.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the relay following mark's list and it appears the relay is bad. I see them in most of the camaro catalogs I just wonder if dealers carry them? We dont have auto zone or pep boys in the area. I will check auto value too locally, smaller company but they might have them. I will report back when I get it working. Thanks guys.
click

------------------
fold down rear seat.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got the new relay today, BUT as soon as I touched the orange power to the center pole the high speed fan comes on just fine, however the key is off and fan switch is off too. What would make power go direct to the high speed blower with switch and key off?
Now Im really cornfused and open to new ideas. Mark? Anyone?
click

------------------
fold down rear seat.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Sounds like the relay has a stuck contact.

Check to see if the contact is stuck shut. Check the resistance on the relay for the terminals that connect to the #12 AWG orange wire and the purple wire. With the relay deenergized there should be infinite resistance (open circuit) Check the resistance between the #18 AWG and the Black #12 wire, should have some resistance, maybe 100 to 200 ohms indicating the coil is intact.

Make sure you have 0 volts on the small 18 gauge wire with the key off, or with the key on and the switch in any position BUT high. This wire should only have 12 volts with the key on AND the switch in high.

Make sure you have a 69 relay as they are different than the 68 relay. 69 relay has a T shaped connector with two terminals next to each other, and two more vertical below these two. You can't put a 68 relay on a 69 connector, though so that shouldn't be an issue.

If it's stuck you may be able to free it up by rapping it on a hard surface. Give it a couple of good shots onto a piece of wood or something similar. Don't ding it up though cause if it is bad and you bang it up you won't be able to return it.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now Im totally confused so out comes the digital camera. Supposedly this relay is for 69-70 but who knows for sure. Do the wires I have look right? Wish I was handier on the electronics but this is what I have sitting on my fender now.
click

------------------
fold down rear seat.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is amazing, back out to the garage... I thought the plug that I have is charred and possible broken, maybe should have been at least a 3 prong plastic plug, so I reversed the position of the 2 prong plastic plug, and the high speed fan now works as do the other 3 speeds with the old relay. But now the relay box gets so hot to the touch in just 2 minutes that Im sensing something isnt right yet. The new relay will not work on High with the 2 prong plastic plug reversed so now I wonder what gives? This shouldnt be that complicated should it?
click

------------------
fold down rear seat.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rest of the story... finally got right part Four Seasons brand relay, # 35765 and it works great in all 4 speeds and doesnt heat up, problem fixed.

Thanks guys for the help. Now Im looking for the 3 point plastic plug to get back to basics on that relay, instead of a broken 2 point plug and single stray wire.
If anyone has one laying around Im a buyer

click

------------------
fold down rear seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts