Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is any one familiar with mixing Zylene or Tolulene with unleaded premium to get leaded 106 octane fuel? I have the article somewhere from a Hot Rod Magazine that has the mix ratio. Has anyone seen/heard of this
mixture? It may take a while, but I bet I can find it and pass it on. These two chemicals are "cleaning fluids" sold in 55 gallon drums and does not require a special liscense to purchase (at least in Ga), but I would definatly not store these in your house or garage.
By the way it was printed in the BACK of the magazine and stashed on somewhat of a non discreet page with no ads. Any one else heard of this?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I know a couple local guys that do this. Don't know exactly how much of what they mix, but there is a local guy that runs it in his 572rwhp twin turbo '00 firehawk. Mixes it with 92 unleaded.

-Joe

------------------
79' Z28 4-spd- built 355, TRW 10:1 forged flat tops, WP SportsmanII heads, Crane Energizer 230/230 duration .480"/.480" lift, Edelbrock Victor Jr., Holley 750cfm, Dynomax headers, dual 3" flowmasters :) 3.73 Posi 10-bolt

·
3,176 Posts
Word to the wise. I work with these chemicals and others like MEK all the time. Yes they are compatable but why buy in such a large bulk. Best to get it premixed and go from there. remember OXIDIZERS and ACIDS with this mix will generate a HEAT and FIRE HAZARD. Battery acid being present with all cars when coming in contact with either or both Zylene or Tolulene would cause a VIOLENT REACTION with HEAT along with GASES Generation..

my advise as a Hazardous Material Handler is Look for something else and dont mix them. Best to hae you and car around next year than getting burnt and loosing a car.

Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS"S
65 442

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.