Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to add a bit of security to the car (when and if it ever runs again).
What are some of the tricky places and ways to wire an ignition kill switch to keep it from starting?
I realize a good thief will overcome something like this, but I want to keep most of the scum from hot-wiring the car.
I thought of maybe a small switch down in the console, or up under the dash somewhere. The battery is going to be in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Be careful what you post, thieves use the internet too :)

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
MSD-6AL has a wire that allows a kill switch to be inserted into the ignition system...I believe it is the white wire...just need to hook this wire to a switch somewhere...be creative and hide it or disguise it...

I'm sure you can even wire the white wire to a switch that you activate/deactivate with a remote control...probably cheap to do and completely hidden.

None of that will stop a thief with a flatbed but it will slow down/stop the other 80% that don't have one.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Would this work to wire it remotely?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Switch-15A-Kit-UNDER-CAR-LIGHTS-ATV-12V-NEW_W0QQitemZ390029241734QQihZ026QQcategoryZ20597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MSD-6AL has a wire that allows a kill switch to be inserted into the ignition system...I believe it is the white wire...just need to hook this wire to a switch somewhere...be creative and hide it or disguise it...

I'm sure you can even wire the white wire to a switch that you activate/deactivate with a remote control...probably cheap to do and completely hidden.

None of that will stop a thief with a flatbed but it will slow down/stop the other 80% that don't have one.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,430 Posts
For leaving my car for short periods - running into a store for bread - I have a hidden battery disconnect switch connected to a hidden Painless latching battery disconnect.

For longer periods, a few hours, I use the battery disconnect together with a keyed combination remote hood lock/starter interrupt - which is also easy and convenient to use. The hood lock is important. It makes trouble shooting why the car won't turn over very difficult.

If I'm leaving the car overnight, I have the Grant removeable steering wheel setup, which has a steel cover that locks over the steering shaft after you've pulled the wheel to make it impossible to steer the car with vicegrips. I use all three when I leave the car overnight.

None of it, as has been suggested, protects the car from a thief with a flatbed.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
you need to put one in a spot that doesnt look obvious.. for example, when you pull up and park to you dont want to be seen reaching under your seat to flip a toogle switch..it needs to be hidden and in arms reach!! definatly have a main kill in the trunk..use your wiper switch as a kill!!!(lol)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
A friend of mine(retired GM engineer) used the cigarette lighter in a Surburban as a "kill switch". Once energized with the switch in the "on" position, the engine would start.

David F.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Puta good alarm in, these have automatic kill switces, also including an electric fuel pump if one is instralled.
The cig lighter, was a suggestion from my son in an older post a yr or so ago on the same subject.. the element has to be shorted out to remove the resistance in the lighter

·
15,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't expect anyone to come right out and give me their setup in an open forum.
And I realize nothing stops a tow truck or flatbed.
I'm just looking for some sneaky suggestions to give me an idea where to start.
The MSD thing is cool. That's kind of what I was looking for. And like Mkelcy said, I plan to have more than one.
I'd like to throw an alarm system in as well but wanted a backup in case it's overridden. I want a way to break all circuits completely, and maybe leave the alarm wiring in place as a dummy wiring harness and route my own in a more hidden place.

I like the lighter idea. :) I thought about that one.
And I like the removable plug. I used to have a car that had an electronic 'key' that had to be inserted before the ignition key would work. It was either my Honda or Acura. Can't remember.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,430 Posts
I don't expect anyone to come right out and give me their setup in an open forum.
And I realize nothing stops a tow truck or flatbed.
I'm just looking for some sneaky suggestions to give me an idea where to start.
The MSD thing is cool. That's kind of what I was looking for. And like Mkelcy said, I plan to have more than one.
I'd like to throw an alarm system in as well but wanted a backup in case it's overridden. I want a way to break all circuits completely, and maybe leave the alarm wiring in place as a dummy wiring harness and route my own in a more hidden place.

I like the lighter idea. :) I thought about that one.
The only issue with the lighter idea is that if you use a laptop, radar detector, GPS or cell phone charger (or all 4), you need to install a second power outlet.

IMHO, security starts with a functional hood lock - if nothing else it makes defeating/disarming whatever else you've got more difficult.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The only issue with the lighter idea is that if you use a laptop, radar detector, GPS or cell phone charger (or all 4), you need to install a second power outlet.

IMHO, security starts with a functional hood lock - if nothing else it makes defeating/disarming whatever else you've got more difficult.
Any suggestions on good hood locks that you can't see from the outside of your car very well?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,430 Posts
Any suggestions on good hood locks that you can't see from the outside of your car very well?
Here's what I did. I used a 6 foot version of this http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.wolo-cable-hood-lock?utm_source=Nextag&utm_medium=Sponsored+Search
and mounted the lock in the passenger compartment as shown here:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showpost.php?p=637327&postcount=2

The 6 foot version is no longer made, and I don't know if the 5 foot version is long enough. It could probably be made to work with an extension on the lock end, but it's not likely to be pretty. You could use the really short version and mount the lock somewhere at the front of the car, but that's much less convenient.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,430 Posts
That looks like the same thing only longer. I just went out to check my car. The 5' cable might fit, but it would be close. The 86" version you found from Ebay is probably too long, but you might be able to shorten it. I'm getting one for my '67 project car, but I'll give you a while to buy if you want to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts