Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My interior guy put in my headliner with leaving cutouts for my shoulder restraints. I now need to find their location through the headliner and carefully cut them out. I cannot feel where they are by pushing on the headliner -it is too tight. I know roughly where they are from looking at photos but hate to cut and find I’ve missed the spot by 1/2 inch. Would you be able to insert a tiny needle through the headliner without damaging it to feel for it? Anyone have any ideas without removing the headliner?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,540 Posts
My interior guy put in my headliner with leaving cutouts for my shoulder restraints. I now need to find their location through the headliner and carefully cut them out. I cannot feel where they are by pushing on the headliner -it is too tight. I know roughly where they are from looking at photos but hate to cut and find I’ve missed the spot by 1/2 inch. Would you be able to insert a tiny needle through the headliner without damaging it to feel for it? Anyone have any ideas without removing the headliner?

I don't know if it matters, but it might: what year? I've got a '67 in the garage with no headliner installed and could measure to get you close.

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
Your headliner guy should have put in screws or studs, then you can find the heads and cut.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Personally, I find those shoulder belts a PITA to use and to keep stored neatly. Since shoulder belts weren't mandated until mid production in '68 I never put them back in. I also think it's a cleaner look for the interior. Most people wont know what year they started using them, and I never wore them anyway. I'm thinking a cop isn't likely to nail you for not wearing them when you don't have any. All that said, I would consider using those Morris Classics 3 point belts. BTW Here is a video on seat belt installation that may be helpful......

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
Your headliner guy should have put in screws or studs, then you can find the heads and cut.
Thats what I did when I replaced my own headliner. Put the screws in for the shoulder belt clips and sunvisors before I redid the liner.
I have never used mine in 42 years of owning my car. They just stay in the clips

·
14,960 Posts
I have pictures with measurements. I’ll dig them out and post this afternoon.

Reactions: 4Tundra

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do All 68's have the attachment point needed for the Morris 3 pt belts? i want to add those belts but haven't taken the original headliner out. I saw someone posted about mid year 68. I think my 68 is early. NOR 5080. I think based on my vin compared to a table in CRG puts it in the Sep '67.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if it matters, but it might: what year? I've got a '67 in the garage with no headliner installed and could measure to get you close.
Thank you so much but it’s a 69 and I know it’s different than the 67. Much appreciated though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have pictures with measurements. I’ll dig them out and post this afternoon.
That would be awesome.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,540 Posts
Personally, I find those shoulder belts a PITA to use and to keep stored neatly. Since shoulder belts weren't mandated until mid production in '68 I never put them back in. I also think it's a cleaner look for the interior. Most people wont know what year they started using them, and I never wore them anyway. I'm thinking a cop isn't likely to nail you for not wearing them when you don't have any. All that said, I would consider using those Morris Classics 3 point belts. BTW Here is a video on seat belt installation that may be helpful......
These cars are unsafe enough - no air bags, crumple zones, etc. - that I'd be hard pressed to omit the one piece of safety equipment that's available - a three point seat belt. Happy and consistent Morris Classics 3 point belt user here.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
These cars are unsafe enough - no air bags, crumple zones, etc. - that I'd be hard pressed to omit the one piece of safety equipment that's available - a three point seat belt. Happy and consistent Morris Classics 3 point belt user here.
I'm concerned about the Morris Classic's clearing the thicker door panels of a deluxe interior.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Have any of you installed shoulder belts in a 67 with seat extenders? I need to locate my upper locations also. I think the locations were moved rearward in 68 relative to 67 and futher in 69 due to lousy positioning. I am afraid its a bad combo but I'll find out soon enough.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,540 Posts
I'm concerned about the Morris Classic's clearing the thicker door panels of a deluxe interior.
I'd talk to Morris about that - I vaguely recall something saying they addressed the issue, but could be wrong.

·
14,960 Posts
You can get a bracket that moves the retractor further back.

·
Registered
410 Posts
We have brackets that move the reel back for seat extenders and custom seats.
It was a Federal mandate that all cars manufactured Jan 1 1968 came from the factory
with 3 point seat belts.All Gm cars manufactured feb 66 up has the 3 point reinforced
bracket for 3 point seat belts.
Billy

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
109 Posts
I just installed the same belts in my 69 2 days ago with the headliner already installed. Check for the installation point located between the last two headliner bows. Once you find the anchoring point ,feel for two depressions where the bolts screw into. After finding the forward most bolt location measure 17" forward to the first retainer location and then 25" to the forward most retainer location. Also, you might be able to pull the headliner off just a bit to locate the retainer locations after removing the trim that covers the end of the headliner. If you need pictures with the dimensions I just disposed of them and I can scan and send it to you. Once I found the bolt and screw locations I used an awl to pierce the headliner and screw the bolts and screws.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts