Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha s anybody ever repaired or replaced a high beam floor switch?

When I turn on the dash switch, sometimes the headlights don't come on till I tap the floor switch a few times.

The high beams seem to work more often then the regular lights.

Tonight driving home, the lights went out and I had to tap the floor switch several times to get the lights to stay on.

Is there a contact in there that needs to be burnished or compressed air blown out?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Have you ruled out a loose connector?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
The floor switches collect gunk and corrosion because of their location. Easy to plug and play a new switch, if yours is not too bad you can take it out and re-service it, clean it up lube it and put it back in service.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '68. I replaced it with a new one from one of the popular online vendors. It's breeze to change out. I also replaced the headlight switch from the same source. (saved on shipping)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I had an old headlight dimmer switch that I took apart as I wondered how they worked inside. On this one there are three contact arms that connect to 6 terminals. The contactor rotates and makes different combinations of connections to turn on the low beams or turn on the high beams. On this one the rotating contactor has a spring on it to keep tension on the connections and this spring could wear out,the connection be poor, or have other issues. With readily available replacements, it's probably easier to swap one out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157657367816900

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts