Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got the headlights to work on the 67 RS I bought a few weeks ago. I pulled back the carpet and noticed that the plastic connector going to the foot activated high beam switch was somewhat melted. I jiggled the wires down there and got the headlights working, but the wires are very hot to the touch, so obviously I can't drive it that way.

does anyone know why these wires are hot enough to melt plastic and what I need to do to fix it? Electrical stuff is like a big, confusing black hole to me. Any help would be really appreciated!

And, no, the doors don't work either, but I'll worry about that another day!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The fact that you can "jiggle" the wire and they work should tell you right then the issue. There's a loose connection. This will cause a larger amp draw, thus heating up the wire enough to melt the plastic covering. Pull the switch out and lightly sand off the connecting spades, then replace the conncectors on the wires leading to the head lights. This should resolve the issue.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that sounds easy enough, and I suppose it should have been obvious. See, this is what I meant about electrical issues being a big, confusing black hole to me. I gotta learn this remedial stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cleaned the male contacts on the switch but, of course, couldn't really clean the female contacts on the semi-melted plastic connector. The headlights now stay on whether or not I jiggle the wires (so that's good) but the wire still gets hot. I think I'm going to cut off the connector and just get some nice watertight crimp connectors and connect each wire to the foot switch individually.

The more I dig into this car, the more I realize what a colossal error it was to buy a car that hadn't been driven for 3-4 years, and was wet inside when I went to look at it.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The more I dig into this car, the more I realize what a colossal error it was to buy a car that hadn't been driven for 3-4 years, and was wet inside when I went to look at it.
Not an error,, just a learning curve with challenges. If it was easy to do, it wouldn't be as fun to drive around and show it off when it's finished.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not an error,, just a learning curve with challenges. If it was easy to do, it wouldn't be as fun to drive around and show it off when it's finished.
Good way of looking at it. I gotta admit, I LOVE driving it! I just wish it didn't have the rust I'm finding. Oh well - I always wanted to learn how to weld. . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts