Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 Camaro.
The light are in normal setting and the little red light in the dash is on.
When I switch to the High beam the light goes off.

This is backwards, is there an easy fix?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Are any of your other dash lights being wierd?

Assuming that everything else is right and the high / low beam wires aren't crossed at both headlights...

If the high beam indicator light was assembled in this order:

Strap to center screw, red lens, strap from dash carrier, light socket.

rather than:

red lens, strap, strap, light socket

It could act that way.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only wierd thing is that light.
I was hoping I could fix this at the floor switch?

It's been like that for 16 years. :clonk:

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what I had thought for the last 16 years.
Maybe one day I will get around to trying to switch the wires around. :clonk:

Never seem to get over to that car since it is pretty much done.

·
Premium Member
12,511 Posts
The floor mounted dimmer switch plug reversed.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I only have Nova wiring diagrams but on the 69 there is a feed wire to the dimmer switch from the headlight switch and then if the floor mounted dimmer switch is clicked to one setting then the tan wire has power coming out of it and then this goes directly to the low beam headlight filament.
If the switch is clicked again then the light green should have power on it but at the dimmer switch this wire branches out with one portion going to the indash high beam indicator while the other portion goes directly to the high beam headlight filament. If the dimmer switch only has one light green wire for the high beam output, then in the loom or at the bulkhead connector another light green wire will be branched off and go to the instrument panels high beam indicator light.
I think if the wires (tan and light green) are switched at the floor mounted dimmer switch then the headlights low beam filaments would still be on as well as the high beam indicator. I could be wrong here but I believe on both headlights the tan and light greens have to be swapped in the headlight plug/socket.
I'm not certain if the high beam when it is on also has the low beam turning on. The headlight dimmer switch may be doing this or it may just be flipping between the low beams and high beams.

Jim

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I'm not certain if the high beam when it is on also has the low beam turning on. The headlight dimmer switch may be doing this or it may just be flipping between the low beams and high beams.

Jim
Pretty sure that when the high beams are on the low beams are off. My RS headlight doors are controlled with a firebird module. I initially triggered the module with the low beam headlight wire. When I switched to high beams the doors would close. Had to use the lt blue wire between the hl switch and the dimmer which is hot whether the dimmer is on hi or low..

Agree - the dimmer switch connector plug only goes on one way, so the wires would have to reversed in the plug.

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
I stand corrected, Jim brings up a good suggestion.
If HB indication lights and h/lamps are on low beam, very well could be miswire at headlamp connector.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Jim is on it. I wondered about the first advice given but didn't have the ambition or time to look at a diagram at the time. Chevrolets and GM in general share similar wiring configurations so the Nova and Camaro diagrams are the same. The problem has to be at the headlight connector.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
funny, I never did anything - still is the same way after 21 years now...
guess I just got used to it...

·
Premium Member
12,511 Posts
LOL Jeff you crack me up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Found my wiring diagram.
Found someone reversed the wires in the headlight connector.
Cleaned the 40+ year old corrosion.
Switched them and all is good.

I don't know why someone would;'ve switch them.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts