Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a piece inside my steering column that pushes on a metal rod to turn the brights on and off broke. i dont know what part it broke off of, and if anyone can tell me id greatly appreciate it. i dont want to get the wrong replacement part.. whether its the turn signal switch or wiper switch or something else. please can someone help me

i have a 92 camaro RS.... thanks

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Most likely the turn signal switch assembly is broken. The only way to know for sure what is broken is to pull the steering wheel off and take a look. That isn't a fun job, but not too difficult. I don't think your 92 has an air-bag, but I'm not sure. If you have an air bag, you'll have to follow the manufacturers recommendations for disarming it. If you need to do that, post back here and I / we can give you the instructions. If you have a local auto-zone store, they should loan you the tool to pull the steering wheel for a small deposit.

The turn signal switch is about a $50 part if I recall and probably a GM dealer item. I presume when you pull back on the signal lever it no longer clicks as it normally would to turn on the high beams - correct?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The rod is pushed by the t. sig. lever, the switch is separate.
You will need to remove the wheel, depress the lock plate, remove the t sig switch. remove the ign lock cylinder, remove 3 screws holding the housing to the column.
Pull off the housing, it's a 2 piece housing. The small part of the housing has aplastic piece that pushes on the rod, the plastic piece is pushed by the t signal lever.
It's a super simple system.
Are you sure something is broken inside the column? Before tearing into the column make sure the rod did not just fall out of the switch on the bottom of the column?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i beleive its that plastic piece. that when you pull the lever you hear the click sound that turns the high beams.. the high beam switch down at the bottom of the column *or mid part) was replaced. its the plastic piece inside the column that when you pull back on the lever . it pushes that metal rod that deprseses the actual switch.... i guess what im not sure is what part of the column is that plastic piece part of. so i can get it... its not part of the actual lever (the long part) cuz i bought one of those. its part of something and i wondered if anyone knew. that would help... .. thanks for all your responses so far... also my 92 camaro does have an air bag but i disabled it for now.. to fix my car. thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The click sound is made by the dimmer switch.
Is the rod stuck in the end of the dimmer switch?
the long lever can be pulled out without taking apart the column. the lever is stuck into the wiper switch inside the column. The wiper switch, when pulled back, pushes on a plastic piece. The plastic piece pushes on the rod. The rod pushes on the dimmer switch.
The plastic piece most likely is not broken. Or I should say I have never seen one broken.
There should be a cover, where the tilt lever goes through.
Right under that cover is where the plastic piece is.
Be sure the rod is stuck in the dimmer switch, if it is ,you will to take apart the top portion of the column. You will need a lock plate compressor to get to the plastic piece.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k. than its the wiper switch i need to replace.. whataver part of the switch pushes that rod is what came off. cuz. i saw it. and kinda half pulled the remains out.. it must have been too old or somehting cuz it crumbled.... the rod is fine. and the dimmer switch i replaced. cuz i used to lean over and hand push it for my brights ( i have the vinyl cover off since i never got the problem fixed to put back on.. in either case.. that answer my question than thanks soo much i cna finally get this fixed (despite its an expensive piece)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts