Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 is idling high. I have a 350 and edlebrock carb. I've adjusted the idle screw and after driving for awhile it idles high when stopped. If I tap the gas most the time the car will idle normally. Can anyone help me in fixing this so it idles normal all the time. It's a 4 speed w/ m21

·
14,106 Posts
My 68 is idling high. I have a 350 and edlebrock carb. I've adjusted the idle screw and after driving for awhile it idles high when stopped. If I tap the gas most the time the car will idle normally. Can anyone help me in fixing this so it idles normal all the time. It's a 4 speed w/ m21
Check out your choke adjustment

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have referenced this with I know very little about engines and am in the beginning stages of learning. Sorry to sound completely clueless but what am I looking for with the choke adjustment? Thank you.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If I tap the gas most the time the car will idle normally.

Based on this statement, I agree with Vega$69. Sounds like the choke high idle is engaging when you don't want it to.

Here's the owners manual for e-carbs:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/dl/carb-owners-manual.pdf

Download it and read it, check your choke adjustment according to page 8 of this document.

If thats not it, then you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

A suggestion: list your city in your location, rather than just the state. There might be someone nearby who may be willing to come by your garage and help you figure it out, but if you don't specify your city, we'll never know?

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
I agree, check to see if the fast idle cam is engaged after the car is warm.

But.. if it is fine and that isn't the issue, you may just need a stronger return spring. May not be closing all the way and when you blip the throttle the inertia coming back closed helps shut the butterflies all the way.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
If not the fast idle adjustment, find out where the jambing is... the carb throttle springs should be able to return the butterflies back with at least the throttle disconnected from the lever out of the fire wall
increasing springs is a patch fix which puts extra side pressure on the butterfly bushes causing premature wear and vaccuum leaks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked but haven't messed with the choke adjustment. It seems to be 75% toward the lean side. I also noticed that the choke screw is screwed in so much it won't allow the fast idle cam to move past it unless the throttle is engaged. Hope the picture that I posted comes up. Either way I was think of bringing the choke screw out a bit to allow the cam to pass. thoughts?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I don't like what I see with that return spring. You should have a double spring that hooks directly to the carb leg- not that extension thing. I worry that such a set up could easily unhook if you mash the pedal. If the spring doesn't reach, use a bracket to move the spring closer so it does.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't like it either. I just picked the car up a month ago and that's one of the not so cool things that was done. The spring will reach without the extension. I was just worried about the tension being too much. I'll fix that too while I'm at it. Going through the car and my limited knowledge is a work in progress. Thanks for confirming its wrong for me I appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help. Tinkering with the choke adjustment and the fast idle screw she's running a lot better now. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Now that you've got that covered, another thing in the picture I notice is that your vacuum line to the distributor is on the ported side, it should be on the drivers side for full time vacuum. Since you're learning, do a search and read the timing and vacuum advance 101. Not trying to confuse you, but It's a learning curve, and it'll be alot more efficient if you get your timing fixed as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AJ, any and all pointers I will take. Believe me when I say I'm confused by it all, but I wil most definitely do the research prior to messing with it and enjoy doing it myself. The only issue I have at this point is I don't know what's correct and what's not, so I truly appreciate the point out. PA Camaro Guy pointed out the throttle return spring, and that's now fixed and the pedal feels better. Thank you again and I'll start my research. Maybe I should just post my entire engine on here, :eek:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Haha. That would be a fun post... "What's wrong with my engine". Haha. You'll do just fine, reading and asking before "doing" is 99% of the battle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts