Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been many discussions in here about HOA's and the trouble many have had when they go to work on their Camaro, only to find out you cant work on it in the driveway or other such nonsense because its in the 'homeowner assoc. rules'.
I came across this interesting article about San Fran. area HOA and the big bru-ha-ha that came of it. For those that want to be up to date on this topic, its good reading.
HOA article, court rulings etc.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Jim, very interesting reading indeed. The Westlake District is about 10 min or so from my house and is a nice neighborhood. For you golfers out there, It is located next to the Olympic Club Golf Course. If that white only clause was still in effect, about 80% of the residents would have to move out!
Good to see that was repealed. I personally don't like HOA's, but I also don't like junk cars, boats, RV's clogging up the streets either. Most cities have laws to prohibit this, but with the budget crisis' that plagues cities these days it is rarely enforsed. A lot of people think HOA protect them from that and that is their major purpose. If the homeowners got after the city and had them enforce that law, I don't think HOA would have much purpose, (except for maybe painting a house Pink with bright green trim... ;) Maybe all that unused money could go to a senior center or park...Mike

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
The first place I ever bought was a little condo overlooking a golf course in a nice suburb of Seattle...Everything went well for about a week until I realized that there was a bunch of cranky old ladies who ran the board and paid about 9x too much to have wire mesh put in the gutters etc. They enforced really dumb bylaws, but then didn't do a thing about the major issues of the property (and common areas). I don't think I would ever live in a situation like that again! just my .02

Dano

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Thats why living in the country is so great! I can paint my house purple with lime green flames and nobody can do anything about it :D

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
The article doesn't display any more, just the title. I know some HOAs can have some off the wall rules, the thing to remember is they are disclosed before escrow closes. I understand folks frustrations but most that complain only have themselves to be mad at. They didn't have to buy to begin with.

I know there are other circumstances, like an out of control board that imposses new rules that were not in place when someone bought but that too can be avoided if the home owner is willing to be involved. If you buy into a HOA property, dealing with the board is no different than mowing the lawn. It's something you do on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Originally posted by DjD:
If you buy into a HOA property, dealing with the board is no different than mowing the lawn. It's something you do on a regular basis.
Yeagh, a lawn full of thistles, chiggers, and poo everywhere! Dealing with a jerk, is dealing with a jerk. Ofcourse I didn't HAVE to buy the condo, but very few people read 57 pages of bylaw gibberish in the first place. I made an earnest attempt, but kept falling asleep.lol
I'm glad it happened now though, because I learned a good lesson from it! It's always difficult to get x number of people to agree on something. But I got me a house now! I love my neighbors and all is well, I just wouldn't do the by law crap again...

Dano

·
Registered
353 Posts
We just finished a vinyl siding job for a customer who picked all the new colors for their house. The last day we were there the president of the HOA came up and told us we were in violation of the rule that states two houses next to each other cannot be similar in color. The house we just finished is a yellowish siding with white trim and dark green shutters. The neighbors house is a tan color with tan trim and brown shutters.
Anyway I informed the "president" I was under contract to complete a siding job and if I don't complete the job as contracted, I would be in breech of contract. I told him in no way would I stop work or remove any siding and he is to take this up with the homeowner. I informed my crew to ask anyone else trespassing on the property to please leave. If they continue to interupt the work process, call me and I will have the police remove them. Nothing would please me more to see some old nosey battle axe taken from the property in cuffs.
The funny thing is, there are 4 sets of houses next to each other with similar siding. They continue to pick on this homeowner because he lives next door to one of the biggest complainers in the community.
I deal with similar incidents throughout the year. 99.9% of the time it is a midle age to older women, stay at home housewife, that cause the trouble. My crew is told to be polite to complaining neighbors unless they start swearing at them. If that happens they have my permission to say what ever they want.

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
Originally posted by MrDanB:
Ofcourse I didn't HAVE to buy the condo, but very few people read 57 pages of bylaw gibberish in the first place. I made an earnest attempt, but kept falling asleep.lol
I too bought my first place and didn't even know to ask for them. I did know I had a big association fee every month that was susposed to take care of common areas, roofs, paint etc and we had some parking rules to follow. We kept getting letters stating this repair has to be put off, we couldn't afford the new roofing that was due and such. I did some quick math, with over 200 units our condo complex should have had money to burn... I started looking into things and found a closed door board. they didn't refuse to let members attend meetings, they just didn't publish when or where. My neighbor and I poked around, found out when one was and dropped in. That's all it took, the changes started happening real fast. Gardeners being paid $5000 a month were replaces with a crew that did the job for $1000 a month (don't recall exact figures) and the common grounds actually started looking like a lush park. A new mgnt group was also brought in for lesser fees and some board members resigned and were replaced which lead to a lot of the nit pickey rules being looked into. I don't know the full outcome as work forced me to relocate...

My next place didn't have a HOA but CCR's were set up by the developer when the tract was built. I had my realestate broker spent several hrs of her day going over the CCR's with me... There was nothing I objected to or couldn't live with so we made the deal.

Just like evething else, buyer beware, do your homework...

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I agree DjD. I have a HOA with several restrictions in my subdivision. Although there will always be complainers, the restrictions are really not that bad. They (in my sub.) are merely in place to keep your property value up. (Have to be xxxx sq ft, earthtones, at least 30 feet from road, utility buildings must be 300 sq ft min, etc). I made sure that I read my restrictions before even purchasing the lot.

It was hilarious a couple of months ago when my neighbors (supposed to be our friends) made a 'complaint' about my garage I just built. I appears my garage blocks the view of their house from the road (and they have a monster). They said I was 'too close to the road'. It gave me great pleasure to hold out my measuring tape for the owner of the subdivision and let him measure! LOL! People are so petty sometimes.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I moved out of a neighborhood that was heavily patrolled by the Yard-Nazi's as I called them..

This was a neighborhood that on the 4th of July and New Years you would hear full automatic gun fire from multiple homes-and yet they were always so concerned about weeds in your yard, or whether or not you had edged..

Gang graffiti on all signs, wooden fences, and painted on the street-but you better not paint your house a color not approved by them!

I kid you not the entire neighborhood should have been sealed off and gassed as part of a genocide experiment. First time buyer and easy financing I could not pass on the opportunity to get in. I built my credit and then got out as quickly as I could..

The Yard-Nazi's came over to help me pack when it was time for me to go.. I almost cried.. NOT!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts