Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 honda civic and recently I have noticed that the steering wheel has started shaking. The shaking does not start until around 60mph or so but after that the faster I go the worse it gets. I have also noticed that my front tires have shown unusual wear around the outter edges. The car has 65,000 miles on the till. ANy ideas as to what it could be??

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Tires are out of balance or out-of-round, or both, could also be toe-in. Take it to a shop with a Hunter GSP-9700 balancer and they can diagnose it right away.

Go to www.gsp9700.com - there's a locator there that will show you the nearest shop to you that has one.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Could be 'Strut Time' - daughter Nissian (that's also a soup right?) just did the same awhile back and I found the left strut leaking it's "stable juice".
I did the struts and then had it aligned.
I also replaced the tires (and had them balanced per John's advise) as the wear would probably have still effected the ride and would needlessly wear the new struts.

Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
662 Posts
what kind of wear on the edges, from what you descibe, I bet you have high and low spots on the edges. If you do your camber is off on the alignment..go get it checked. It should be done every 6 months or 6,000 miles anyway. Go somewhere like firestone, etc that can sell you a lifetime alignment, they are a little more expensive, but you will save your hoops. If your tires have this wear, they will need to be replaced to remove the vibration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts