Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My choke was disabled by previous owner, now Id like a working choke back on..some suggest the elec. choke kit, runs about $60 here, but is this the best option? What parts am I missing in this pic? Open to ideas from those who have done this conversion already. Anyone got an old elec. choke hanging around?
Thanks in advance, click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
650 Posts
If I am not mistaken, that is a manual choke, and everything seems to be there. Naturally, I would need to see more pics to honestly say for sure.

See that brass rod there that goes horizontally? Get that off and see if the choke lever on the right moves or not, and if it operates the choke. What many people do with the manual chokes is just anchor a rod like that in there to keep the choke open all the time.

Don't even bother with trying to convert to an electric choke. They suck, simply put. I actually took my electric choke right off and I don't even need one, the squirters act as good enough primers.

edit: I have all the parts for the electric choke, brand new, about 15 feet away from me right now if you REALLY are bent on going this route.

[This message has been edited by BreathWeapon (edited 03-12-2002).]

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Breath for the inside scoop. I talked with the local muscle car guru at the auto parts store today, he has a 4150 Holley with the elec. choke and says he loves it. Not sure how cold you get in Calgary but here in Minn. it can be 25F in the morning and 55 by noon. This constant changing of temps makes the car tempermental. I dont like to sit and keep pumping the pedal to keep it running while it warms up in the garage. I think Id rather try the elec. setup so I dont have a cable thru the firewall. What would you part with your elec. setup for? $$ ?
I appreciate the help much. Feel free to email me if you would rather.

------------------
fold down rear seat.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have an electric choke on my 4160. I bought it brand new and my father and I threw the electric choke on it (I was only 16 at the time, it was my first lesson in carbs). I bought it brand new with my brand new carb. I think the choke kit cost about 30 dollars. It took about 30 mins to put on, the directions are pretty good. I like it except for the fact that is stays on a little long when the car is first warming up on a very hot 90 degree summer day. It's great in the cold, but I think it should go off sooner in the warm. All that is really needed to operate the electic choke is a full 12 volts, but all this is in the directions.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
My Father's 1968 RS 327!
My First Generation Camaro site

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
Click - Don't let someone elses bad experience sour you on an electric choke. If the carb and choke are in proper working condition things work fantastic!! If you live where you can't pump twice, fire the mill up and take your foot off the gas within 30-60 sec you need a choke.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
470 Posts
click,
I totally agree with Djd that if everything is set up properly, you will not have any trouble.

I live in Colorado at about 6,200 feet in elevation, so I know what you mean in that it can be 15 degrees F in the morning, and then about 50 or 60 degrees F in the afternoon! I have used the Holley electric choke conversion kit on at least 3 Holleys here in the last two years and never had a problem. There are fairly straight-forward in there directions and work beautifully when set up right. I have one on my Chevelle with 454 and Holley 750, and also on my Nova with 355 SBC and Holley 600. Both of these carbs are Vac. sec. and have been converted to 4150s also and I love them!

If you decide to go electric (I highly recommend it!) then take breathweapon up on his offer and get one cheap, otherwise, you can order them through Jegs or Summitt for about $39. $60 is too much...

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, the Holley catalog I got from my auto store had the $60 price in it. I agree thats too much.
I recall the days of the coil spring chokes that warmed up with heat off the intake manifold too. Those were pretty simple as I recall.
In this weather I do know I will want the choke so I can pump it once,and let it warm up nicely. I will see what breath wants for his kit and go from there.
Thanks mucho, always good to get others opinons before making a decision.
cheer,
click

------------------
fold down rear seat.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I've used six or seven Holley #0-80145's (600cfm dual-feed 4150, center-hung floats, vacuum secondaries, electric choke) on every project car I've built over the last ten years, and the electric chokes work great, no problems - Michigan winters are no pushover either. Just give it full 12 volts and a ground wire and go; simple 10-second adjustment for duration.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 03-13-2002).]

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I have a slightly used "in the box" Holley Silver finish #0-80145 750 with Vac. Sec. and electric choke, center-hung floats, dual feed, quick-change secondary springs, that I'm willing to sell for $150 if you might be interested. E-mail me if you might want it.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
my only gripe with an electric choke is that it will always seem to reset itself whenever the car is shut off- even for a few minutes. i prefer the old stock style heat operated choke- the one with the spring mounted on the exhaust crossover on the intake with the rod that actuates the choke from there- it truly only works when it is needed. too bad Holley doesn't have a kit to hook that style up.
that being said, i have an electric choke on the edelbrock Q-jet on the Nova- but only because my vortec heads don't allow for a heat crossover.i hate those 95 degree summer days when it idles high whenever i start it. i could adjust it, but then i would have to drill off the nice factory rivets on the choke housing. i guess i am lazy.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
650 Posts
LOL. The electric chokes are a joke! If you are fortunate enough to live somewhere that the temp is relatively constant, then no probs, the choke won't do any more than waste fuel for you. But anywhere cold (no, not Colorado, I mean actually 'cold') then the electric chokes will make you late for work 9 times out of 10. Manual choke, if any, is the way to go. Even these are non-essential, as I can start my car in +30 degree centigrade or -30 degree centigrade without choke and the car runs just dandy. The choke I had just restricted air flow and made for an annoyance.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i take it Breathweapon has had some bad luck with improperly setup chokes. a properly setup, heat operated choke is the most invisible performance mod you can have. makes the car start and run really crisp without too much pedal play (which wastes fuel) and shortens the warm up time considerably. a good carb, with a good choke, on a solid short block is like starting a fuel injected car, except for the one pump to set the choke and get some fuel in the engine for a quick and painless startup. i do agree, as stated in my previous post, that electric chokes suck. but they are almost always better than no choke.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well, I've done the testing on all 3 choke types (manual, electric, and none) and I can honestly say that I know I will be able to drive with no choke and a manual, but I can't speak the same for an electric choke. I will admit, that I have been farting around with 750 cfm carbs on a 350 engine for these tests, so the electric choke might be a bit rich. Still though, if I can get the engine going on 1 or 2 pumps of the pedal without any choke, and it runs nicely, then why would I need a choke anyway? I have always preferred primers to chokes on all my equipment too, so maybe my views on this subject are a little biased. At any rate, all I am saying is that the electric choke on my barnd new carb AND my old carb did ball-all for me, and I was better off tossing them aside in exchange for the *"dremel vs choke shrouding" duel. Perhaps not a noticeable power gain, but I am sure it helps to some degree.

* Cut away the tall shrouding around the primaries.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Jim - I'm pretty certain the previous owner put a piece of wire/rod in place where the cable would normally go to hold your butterfly wideopen - thus making your choke inoperable. When i was under the hood that day and you were firing it up i tried moving the choke lever and it wouldn't budge. you could very inexpensively buy a cable and make your manual choke operable again, or order the electric kit from Jegs for about $40. I have the electric choke on my Holley and it works perfect. I have it set very lean, so it only stays on for about 15 seconds, then i can kick the idle down and the butterfly is already almost completely open. it makes for easy starts and yet opens wide very quickly.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Do yourself a favor, when you get that electric choke kit take the carb off the car and sit down at the kitchen table or somewhere where you have lots of light. Don't put it on with the carb on the car - a real PITA that way. There's a little clip or two that you'll loose in a heartbeat with the carb on the car. There's lots of ways to assemble it wrong (ask how I know) so follow the directions real carefully.

When installed and adjusted right they work like a champ. Mine works good here in Michigan.

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 03-16-2002).]

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, when it arrives I will also put in a kit at the same time since I have no idea on how long its been in use.
No kitchen table tho, wife would kill me, thats why I have heated garage and large workbench, bar height
, Now if I can just get jeff (camaro-69ss) to come over and bring the beer, we could be done in maybe 6 hours on a sunday afternoon.

click

------------------
fold down rear seat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts