Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ew years ago I and my brother bought a lot of engine parts at a garage sale. One of them is a Holley, with two fuel bowls but only one pump. It has vacum secondaries.

Then I lost that Holley in my garage (didn´t need at that time) but found it again today.

I would like to know what carb I have (CFM) because I am starting to build a 400 cid small block chevy and need a bigger carburator than my current Holley 600 cfm.

I wrote down all the numbers I could find but they are:
On the bottom of the carb there is the number 3205
On the primary fuel bowl is the number 12R-10554B
On a plastic thing beside the choke is the number 34R-10880B
On the primary pump is the number 34R-2178B
Also I found the number 172 and the number 173 on the vacum secondaries.

This carb was on a 351 windsor and I hope my sbc will not reject it

Jon H. Gudjonsson

·
Retired
26,976 Posts

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
you put down every number but the one that will tell you what it is- it will be stamped on the front of the choke housing- right on the front of the carb and impossible to miss. for example, if it says "1850", you have a 600 vacuum secondary carb, and a "3310" means it is a 750 vacuum secondary.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How could I miss that one!!! I found it and this carburator is not what I was hoping it would be.

The number is R84010 1029, it is 600 cfm so it is a little to small for my engine.

I am building a 400-406 sbc and don´t want to bue a new carb right awai. I am aiming at 5000-5500 rpm.

Will this carburator be ok with my engine (for some time) or will I be choking my engine? I am not thinking about a radical cam but it will be hyd roller.

I have few ohters carbs in my garage but they need to be rebuilt.

Jon H. Gudjonsson

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nonni:

I am building a 400-406 sbc and don´t want to bue a new carb right awai. I am aiming at 5000-5500 rpm.

Will this carburator be ok with my engine
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

600 CFM wouldn't be bad for a daily driver but consider this.

CID * RPM / 3456 = 646 at 100% volumetric efficiency. A 650 CFM carb should work fine. If your 600 cfm is ready to run and you would have to buy a bigger carb, I'd recommend using the 600 to see how you like it.

I have a 750cfm on my 355 and it's very tweaky. I'm rebuilding a 600 cfm for it. I might loose a little around 6500 RPM, but I don't expect the motor to see that much except on rare occations. I figure I'll bolt the 750 back on if I decide to go to the track some weekend.

-dnult

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.