Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a holley 600 carb with vaccum secondaries on a 350 with a small cam. I just changed the power valve in it and cranked it and now it wont idle and loads up but as soon as you open the throttle it goes away. The car has sit for a couple of weeks and needed a power valve so I put it in and now it wont run at idle in park or drive but when you slam the throttle it will run just as ggood as any. I wonder if there is any trash in the carb because I sprayed out the passages in the metering block before I put it back together. There is also a lot of trash and dirt in the see through fuel filter . Please respond because it is driving me craszy and I want to drive my car again.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Where did the power valve come from? Sounds like it might be blown. Holleys are famous for blowing power valves. The valve has a small rubber diaphram. One good back-fire and the rubbber diaphram will get a hole blown in it. Newer carbs have a little check ball in the power valve circuit that is supposed to prevent this. There are also kits that can be installed in older cars. In any event, if the power valve is blown it will idle rich.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Also check to make sure you have a ring gasket properly situated between the power valve and metering block. There should be only one gasket.

If that all looks good you can do what I do to check the power valve. Get a hand vacuum pump and a childs suction dart or similar suction cup. Poke a hole in the cup and stick it on the end of your vacuum line. Then put a little vaseline on the cup and stick it to the back side of the power valve. If you can pull and hold a vacuum on the valve, then it is good.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If the float level is too high, idling can be a problem ... you have to continually rev the car to keep it running ... that's the first place I would start ... Plus, if you have access to compressed air, you can use it to clear passages after you have sprayed them with carb cleaner or dipped them into a can of cleaning solution ...

·
Registered
410 Posts
You should do something about the filter. I would change it or clean it if it is the type that you are able to clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts