Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at adding the commander 950 to my 69 SS 396. I have a MSD Pro billet Dist. and MSD-6AL box. Will this work or will I have to change distributers (sp)?

Thx,
Steve

·
Registered
446 Posts
Originally posted by Camcojb:
You will need to lock out the dist advance; instruction sheet or MSD website tells you how. Also believe there's a harness adaptor to run that distributor available from Holley.

Jody
The MSD distributors use a mopar style pickup. It can be made to work even if the 950 does not have an inductive input.

The two wire output from the distibutor needs to be run into the two wire input side of a GM small cap HEI module, then hook up the module to the coil and 950 as if it was a HEI.
The HEI module should be attached with heat sink grease to a piece of aluminum to act as a heat sink.
Also like Jody said the advance needs to be locked down.
I have done this a couple times to get Mopar distributors to work with GM TBI computers on conversions. I found out that this works when I bought a MSD replacement small cap HEI, and inside was a mopar syle pickup wired into a GM HEI module.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, if I were to purchase a new distributor to go with the Commander 950, which one would be best? I want to allow the commander to control my advance. Space is an issue so I would like to go with a small cap distributor if at all possible.

Steve

·
Registered
446 Posts
Originally posted by sgaylord:
Thanks guys, if I were to purchase a new distributor to go with the Commander 950, which one would be best? I want to allow the commander to control my advance. Space is an issue so I would like to go with a small cap distributor if at all possible.

Steve
Did you read my post?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I was just checking to see if there were any other alternatives before I made my decision. I thank you for your input and it appears you are knowledgable on this subject.

Where would you recommend installing the HEI module? Should I create a special bracket?

I am trying to make the cleanest installation I can.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
446 Posts
Originally posted by sgaylord:
Yes. I was just checking to see if there were any other alternatives before I made my decision. I thank you for your input and it appears you are knowledgable on this subject.

Where would you recommend installing the HEI module? Should I create a special bracket?

I am trying to make the cleanest installation I can.

Thanks,
Steve
MSDs small cap HEI is what I used. (87-95 truck, 87-92 fbody replacement)

All of this is dependent on whether or not the Holley ECU can read the distributor you have directly or not. If it can you are golden.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts