Team Camaro Tech banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
Mr. Don Hutton formerly known as Mr. Dutton,

This is from my connect and cruise manual:

Crankcase Ventilation System Description (LT4)
A positive crankcase ventilation system is used in order to provide a more complete scavenging of crankcase vapors.
Filtered air from the air induction system duct is supplied to the crankcase, mixed with blow-by vapors, and passes through a crankcase ventilation metering device before entering the supercharger. The primary component in the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is the PCV flow metering device (valve or orifice). Vacuum changes within the supercharger result in flow variations of the blow-by vapors. If abnormal operating conditions occur, the design of the PCV system permits excessive amounts of blow-by vapors to back flow through the crankcase vent tube and into the engine induction system to be consumed during normal combustion. This engine ventilation system design minimizes oil consumption and significantly reduces the potential for oil ingestion during vehicle limit handling maneuvers. The LT4 engine utilizes an integral positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system which is located in the Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly beneath the Supercharger Assembly.
The Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly contains composite oil separating baffles and PCV plumbing. Filtered fresh air is routed from upstream of the throttle plate to the engine oil tank where it mixes with crankcase gasses and is passed to both engine rocker arm covers. The rocker arm covers’ design shields rocker arm oil spray, thereby reducing the potential for oil being drawn back into the tank during backflow of the ventilation system. Blow-by vapors are routed from the valve lifter oil manifold assembly through a fixed orifice (7.5 mm) within a steel PCV tube, then into the underside of the supercharger near the front of the valve lifter oil manifold assembly.
The following parts maybe purchased to assist in PCV connection, see figure 4. The system must supply filtered air to the PCV system. Connection must be between the Mass Air Flow meter and the throttle body.

Tube-PCV (1) 12644356
Tube-PCV (2) 12668976
Tube-PCV (3) 12647125
Good info! Why didn’t you read the manual in the first place? :)

Don

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I pawned my wife's dishwasher today so I could buy a 1/2 of tank of gas.

On top of the gas pump there was a sign bragging about the additives in the gasoline. Shell Oil claims their gas removes deposits from the intake valve stems. That is good. It got me thinking about a direct injection engine. The gasoline does not come in contact with the valve stem. But the PCV oil vapors do come in contact with the valve stem. The vapors can form deposits on the valve and the gasoline can never wash away the carbon. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
801 Posts
Guys up north tend to know more about fuel quality, but I’ll throw this out there anyway.
Look up top tier fuel. It might sound negligible, but
I ran into this a few years ago looking at valve stem deposits, and found a dramatic difference changing to top tier from “house” fuel.

As far as oil vapor, I’m not sure you’ll be able to beat that.
Here’s a copy and paste of what I think an engineer would call a “catch can”
“A coalescer or coalescing filter is a device used to separate vapor mixtures into individual droplets using the principle of coalescence. Coalescence is a process whereby fluid molecules agglomerate (come together) to form a larger whole. Coalescing filters can separate particulate components of mixtures at comparable efficiencies as particulate filters.”
Some of these are cyclone type and use centrifugal force to pull vapor out of suspension, that… coupled with the volume increase of a vessel causes a decrease in velocity of the vapor , which can cause the mist to drop out of suspension.
I don’t know if mine will work….I see no reason that it won’t. It’s not a store bought ( obviously).
I’ll powder coat it eventually, but that’s just lipstick on a pig right now 😁
Motor vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Vehicle Auto part

41 - 44 of 44 Posts