Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I replace my carb what do you think is better? The avenger from Holley or the AVS from edlebrock?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
The Carter AVS AFB style carbs predate the Holley by several years they work just as well as the Holley. They work the same way as a Holley. What is the difference between them? It lies in how you tune them.

The Edelbrock (Carter) carbs use needle and seats, the Holley uses jets. The difference is one of finesse. The jet is a block of metal with a hole in it, the needle and seat has contours and steps to bring the fuel flow on line more gradually. If all you are going to do is stomp on it and run a WOT there is no difference between them. Both work well.

I personally cut my teeth on Holleys and have all the tools (a screw driver) and the assorted parts to tune a Holley. You might also need a needle nose pliers to tune a Carter-Edelbrock, it just depends upon how big your fingers are and your dexterity.

Larger Dave

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Holley since 1959, so you can bury me with one.
I have done AFB's for many early years but you just don't find the parts availabilty on the shelfs at most parts stores.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Camaro I picked up last summer had an almost new Edelbrock 750 Performer series carb on it. I'm buying an 830 Holley for the new motor. That should tell you where my loyalty lies!

Nothing wrong with the Edelbrock, all my experiences are with the Holley. The 355 ran great with the Edelbrock. I want the 830 for the 377.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I run a 625 Carter AFB and have had zero problems with it since i bolted it on 5 years ago. Once the initial 'tuning' is done it's a very good carb.

Before that i ran Holleys on most everything else. Again, a very easy to bolt on and 'tune' carb. One thing i never liked about them tho was the fact you couldn't remove the bowls without getting gas all over everything (even with a rag under it it's still just a mess).

Both are good. Just depends on which works best for each application, and how much hassle your willing to put up with.

:)

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Edelbrock has been my FAV for several years now. There are lots of tricks you can do to them for less or no money at all(i.e. removing the aft butterflies for quicker response on the track) and to me their easier to tune..less time consuming...

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
IMHO either is fine so long as you pick the right size for how you're going to drive it. Heck, you might want to have a couple in case you want to reconfigure it for the track some weekend. Each have their features but once you get it set you won't have to mess with it much. The learning curve can be a bit steep at first though.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I also have a Carter/Edel. 625 on my 327. I bought it "rebuilt" on E-bay. It would idle OK but it ran very rich and would "load up".

I pulled the carb. off and took it apart. I downloaded an Edel. manual for the 1406 and I found the floats WAY out of adjustment, it had primary jets 2 steps above stock, unknown size primary rods, incorrect step-up springs, and secondary jets 1 size above stock.

I set the floats , all rods, jets & step-up springs back to stock specs and bolted it back on. After setting the idle and adjusting the air-bleed screws to give me the highest manifold vacuum the difference was AMAZING!

My point here is that I'm a novice carb. tuner and I had success with the Edelbrock. They are a fairly simple carb. to tune.

that's my .02

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The 600 Holley will work fine. Don't be surprised if you need to tweak it a tad - even Edelbrocks needs a tweak regardless of what some may say. But it should bolt on, start up and run with minimal fuss. Carberators are just tempermental and you've got to know how to stroke them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.