Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

bought a rebuilt 600cfm holley with vacuum secondaries and electric choke, it was rebuilt by a well known company(name slips my mind right now).

Heres the problem, after some turning the idle screws and playing with the choke and distributor, and lots of starterfluid (in a spraycan),i managed to start the car and when it was warm it idled fine(well, it didnt stalled) and it revved up pretty good, when i shut down the engine and fired it up again with no problems (i did this several times and no probs.)

BUT when i tried to start it the next morning it has the same problem, no go!

and im pretty sure if its finally warmed up after a startfluid-treatment, itwill idle fine and rev up good also.

What am i doing wrong here?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
When the engine is cold if you stab the throttle will the choke slam shut and a shot of fuel squirt into the primaries? Sounds like the float bowls are going dry or the choke is not setting properly.

One problem holley's are famous for is a warped main body. You know the flat part of the main body that the metering blocks attach to. Remove the bowl and metering block assembly, place a straight edge accross the flat surface and see what size feeler guage you can stick in there. Should be less that 0.005" I'd say. If it is warped you'll see more like 0.015 to 0.020". Warped metering blocks can allow fuel to leak into the intake manifold as well as fowl up your idle mixture. I paid $40 to have mine milled flat by a machinist. Of course if this is the problem with yours I'd talking to the supplier about it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I feel the same. The bowls are either leaking down or the choke isnt shutting. I have also found that a blown power valve can cause the leakdown. Make sure there is a gasket behind it also. I just recently had a front bowl leaking down and found the orange plug under the accelerater pump was cracked and not seating good.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Make sure that the power for the choke is coming from the ignition switched prong on the fuse panel. Don't hook it to to the coil! Also make sure the ground wire is bolted to a part that has chassis ground. The floats can be set by removing the bowls, turning them over and usuing a 3/8" drill bit as a gauge between the top of the bowl and the top of the float. rotate the nut on the neddle and seat to adjust. Also, with the carb off the engine make sure the choke is closed and the primary throllte is on the red fast idle cam. check the throttle plate positions. You may need to raise the idle by turning the fast idle cam set screw.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill try it out next morning, i allready ordered an edelbrock carb, but i always can keep it for my nextproject ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts