Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had two holley 600's (80457s) start leaking on my 327 after less than a year of usage. I have a fuel filter on it (glass version---mr. gasket I think) and have yet to see any trash in it. One of them started leaking out of just about every gasket on it at once----it had been doing fine until then. I shelved it, as it was out of warranty by about a month, and bought a new one thinking I just got a lemon. Today, after only 3 months of service, the new one started leaking also. It was still under warranty and I upgraded to a 670 holley hoping no more problems. The salesman said he thought I was getting rust or trash into the floats. I came home and pull the bowls on both sides of the one I shelved and they look pretty clean---just a dab of dusty residue----and I mean a dab---still shiny in the bowls. Any ideas or is this just common with some holleys? One other thing. The car does sit sometimes for maybe 4 weeks without driving. I would not think that short of period of inactivity would be a problem, but I am grasping for straws at this point. Thanks

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
If the gaskets ever dry out they can leak once they get wet again. Does it have the old brown gaskets or the new blue silicone gaskets?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has the blue silicon....and it never sat for more than 4 weeks....usually 2-3 at a time. Never started leaking when cranked....only after driven for a while

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I know the main bodies on those holleys will warp where the metering block attaches. The 600 I have on my 68 now was nearly 0.025" out of flat. A local machinist trued it up for $40.

I don't specifically recall it leaking. I just looked like a mucky old carb with 100,000 miles on it. Perhaps the warping was a contributing factor. The problem was it ran like crap. I suspect it was leaking fuel and air around the various passages on the metering block. Now I check the main body for flattness before I rebuild it and spend the $40 on a mill job if the throttle shaft bores are in good shape.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got the same problem on a factory Holley vacuum secondairy 750. I've tried all of these checks and no luck. Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You said the first one leaked from almost everywhere (which could be the psi being to high) but where did the 2nd one leak from?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have this flyer that my Marine mechanic gave me about the problems I was having with my carb.

Known fact about the added Ethanol to gasoline...

1) Deterioration of the rubber or plastic parts.
2) Fuel permeation through rubber fuel lines.
3) Starting and operating difficulties.

This also has caused gaskets to spider so if your gas has this product then you might
be experiencing what I had gone through. Hope this info helps.

I am going to post the complete flyer for everyone to read.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts