Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best book out there for a how-to, for someone that never has :)

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
If you are looking for Holley info I have 2 books I can recomend, one is called "Holley Carburetors & Manifolds" by Mike Urich & Bill Fisher and the other is also by Urich called "Holley Carburetor Handbook - Selection, Tuning and Repair. Also take a look in our "tech" reference section on the red horizontal bar at the top of the page...

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
started tearing into the carb tonight, and did not get very far...how do I get the metering blocks off of the main body--the book indicates that it might be tough due to "black gaskets"...it was tough to get the bowl off--the metering blocks do not want to budge at all! I cannot get a putty knife in there, screw driver is too thick, razot too thin (snapped the blade)...

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it apart after running some hot water on it, gave it just enough to be able to get the putty knife in to pry it off the main body...

will the carb cleaner (if I submerge them, get all of that gasket off, because a wire brush is not doing much...

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4777-4 is disassembled, main body and base plate cleaned by hand with spray carb cleaner. Submerged the bowls and the metering blocks for about 1/2 hour to an hour...

Still cannot get the gaskets off the bowls completely--got most of it with a wire brush by hand, but I am REALLY having a h%$l of a time trying to get the gasket crap off of both sides of the metering blocks--HELP!!!

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
I use a spray can of carb cleaner and a brass tooth brush, the ones you get in a 3 pack (one brass, one stainless, and one nylon) at the parts store. Spray the gasket and scrape and peel the best you can then spray and brush... If you want to soak the gaskets get a small foil pan, spray into it with carb cleaner until you have it deep enough to cover the gasket surface and soak for 20-30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very useful--Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just out of curiosity--what is the difference between a "normal" renew kit for a holley, and a "marine" renew kit for a holley? They appear (for all intents and purposes) to have the same components within the kit...

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, it's back together...we'lll see if it runs hopefully by this weekend--no nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be--toughest part was cleaning the old brown gaskets off the bowls and metering blocks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts