Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent a few days trying to get my motor to not have the WOT stumble, if I go from idle to wot it happens any other time it doesn't. with the hood open and blipping the throttle it seems like it wants to missfire engine shakes and then it'll get started again, idle mixture is set, 30cc accell pump shot, tried both the 26 and 32 numbered squirters.

At idle vacuum is around sixteen, the power valve is brand new and a 9.5, I also have an 8.5, timing is locked down to 8 deg initial.

My engine specs, 355 with vortec heads 9.5:1, 600 cfm holley

·
Registered
439 Posts
Make sure the "pump shot" is happening as soon as the throttle is cracked. If it isn't, you can change the pump cam profile by purchasing a kit for around $25. The blue cam cured my stumbling problems. Also, transition slot adjustment is critical too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll re adjust and check might need the bigger nozzle back on? and no kickdown cable installed

·
Registered
614 Posts
What is the total timing set at? May need to play with distributor curve. Try 14 initial with 34-36 total all in by 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If it's not a vacuum problem and you have spark it's probably fuel delivery, anything from a pin hole in the gas line, insufficient gas line diameter, fuel pump, dirty filters, float level, jets or accelerator pumps ... etc

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
With that much vaccum you may very well be introducing to much fuel with the accelerator pump. The reason a carburetor has an accelerator pump is to make up for that split second of lower vaccum when you open the venturis. I'd try a smaller squirter yet on both sides.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, here's my results so far, jetted carb down a little bit still just above the stock 66 jet size, have a slightly more aggressive accelerator cam in place. drove the car to work and back and had slightly better results, still had a stumble tho.

I've had a slightly annoying exhaust leak sound for the whole break in time that has been getting on my nerves, almost like a header leak, I ran a new exhaust on the car at work on saturday and did new header gaskets on monday. I still had an annoying header leak sound, I double checked the lash on the car a few weeks ago and only did the drivers side, passenger side had a loose valve when I just checked it.

I'm hoping this improves my performance a bit more

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
As a general rule, the more the load that the engine see's off the line the more pump shot that is needed in rate and volume to cover the launch. Example: A car with a 3000 stall converter needs less fuel off the line then a car with a 1800 stall converter. In most cases a bog at WOT is caused by fuel starvation not flooding. I suggest try bigger nozzles and if needed place a 50cc pump on the primary side with a sharp nosed cam. This will ensure you get enough fuel for a WOT slam until the primary circuit kicks in. I used a pink cam in #2 position with large nozzles and this fixed my WOT issues. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Ap68, Funny as it sound spectre makes a very thick header gasket for cheap. My hookers super comps were also a problem at first. I actually ended up cutting in between each outlet to allow the header to seat better against the head then having one long solid piece. Do this as a last resort, but look for a thicker gauge gasket. Make sure to warm up the re-tighten again. Drive a while let it cool and re-tighten again. It may take 3 or 4 heat ups and torkings to get a good seal!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
funny thing is so far I'm settling for a pink cam in the number 2 position, I've got a number 36 (or 32, i don't remember which) nozzle on the car at the moment.

I'm just using the cheap mr. gasket header gaskets right now (work got me a good deal, $4 for the pair) they're not to thin probably 1/8" thick or so, sealed for now at least.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
What is the total timing set at? May need to play with distributor curve. Try 14 initial with 34-36 total all in by 3000 rpm.
I'll second what Mark said once you get the carb straightened out if that's the problem. Most weight sets and regular stops I've seen only have 20 degrees of advance with some of the brands like Summit only having 15 degrees. If yours are like most, with 8 degrees initial you're shorting yourself out of some power. I can't even get my car to start with less than 12 degrees initial for some reason, and run it at 14-16 for the timing advance to hit where I want it.

With more advance, you'll probably be able to back down on your idle screw as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, I'm only idling at around 600 rpm in gear, 700 out of it. Well, little update around 2000 rpm, maybe more like 2250 rpm my air fuel gauge gets dangerously lean... like um, the lights went down to the red then went out, and the car began to surge and have a lean misfire.

I'm guessing this means I have to jet the carb up? this isn't accel shot related anymore is it?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Have you set the float levels? If it's a steady cruise and your float levels and fuel pressure is adequate, you need larger primary jets.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright that's what I was figuring, I reset float level, only got as far as pulling the sight plugs and rocking the car.

I'll pop in larger jets and see if that helps

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'll second what Mark said once you get the carb straightened out if that's the problem. Most weight sets and regular stops I've seen only have 20 degrees of advance with some of the brands like Summit only having 15 degrees. If yours are like most, with 8 degrees initial you're shorting yourself out of some power. I can't even get my car to start with less than 12 degrees initial for some reason, and run it at 14-16 for the timing advance to hit where I want it.

With more advance, you'll probably be able to back down on your idle screw as well.
I didn't see a response to this...but I will state it 3X

I had a bad stumble and chased the carb settings for months, turned out to be an ignition timing issue. Every small block I have had liked more initial timing and I made sure it had 34-36 total.

Are you running a vacuum advance?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes, running both mechanical and vacuum advance on the car, I haven't checked today I was picking up another toy to play with.

It's, well... a mopar, but that's another story, I'll check my total advance tomorrow after work

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
How old is the carb?Depending on what type of gas you are using{pump gas winter or summer blend}the accelerator pump may be hardened up.I replace mine about every year regardless of the car or carb has been sitting most of the time or not.With the engine off,crack the throttle.If the spring on the accelerator pump arm compresses more then about 1/4 the way,the pump is hardened up.$5 from any speed shop for a new pump diaphram,you can either take the carb off and swap it from underneath,or leave the carb on the car and take the float bowl off.Another thing to check is the pump arm linkage.There should be no slack in the linkage.If you can lift the pump arm off the lever that is on the pump itself,you have too much play.I can tell you how to adjust that if it is your problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
How old is the carb?Depending on what type of gas you are using{pump gas winter or summer blend}the accelerator pump may be hardened up.I replace mine about every year regardless of the car or carb has been sitting most of the time or not.With the engine off,crack the throttle.If the spring on the accelerator pump arm compresses more then about 1/4 the way,the pump is hardened up.$5 from any speed shop for a new pump diaphram,you can either take the carb off and swap it from underneath,or leave the carb on the car and take the float bowl off.Another thing to check is the pump arm linkage.There should be no slack in the linkage.If you can lift the pump arm off the lever that is on the pump itself,you have too much play.I can tell you how to adjust that if it is your problem.A vacum leak is another good place to look.

Good luck.

·
Registered
379 Posts
yes, running both mechanical and vacuum advance on the car, I haven't checked today I was picking up another toy to play with.

It's, well... a mopar, but that's another story, I'll check my total advance tomorrow after work
Nothing wrong with Mopars...my parents and grandparents all worked for GM otherwise I would probably have one.

My car responded well to increasing the vaccum advance allowing a higher total timing at idle without killling it with too much timing at high speed full load. I am a believer in the adjustable vacuum advances...and that time spent getting your timing right first ususally pays off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts