Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to find out if anyone out there is using the Holley Systemax setup (aluminum heads, cam, intake, etc.). I'm considering it for a 350 but would at least like an opinion. At $1300 in Jegs and for the horsepower claim, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. Thanks

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The thing that I don't particularly like looking at both the Edelbrock RPM kit and the Systemax kit is that the cams they use are pretty long on duration. In my opinion, you can get those power numbers with a cam that will also give you much more low end torque and be a little more street friendly.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
James,

I am using the systemax kit, well part of it really.

I was planning on using the camshaft that came with it, but when I put it in and degree'd it, the numbers just didn't match up. So unfortunately I received a bad cam.

So what I wound up doing was getting a cc XE268 and stuffing that in my 350.

Bottom line is that I like the holley heads and intake very much, the car seems to make great power throughout the rpm band and this is even with my 2.73's which I'm grenading for 4.11's and a 12 bolt soon. But I give most of this to the cam and the nice flow of the heads.

So if I had to do it again, I would get the heads and intake manifold but put in the same cam I cam using now the XE268 instead of what comes in the kit. I guess it was kind of an omen that the cam in the kit was bad.

Any other ?'s just ask.

Mike

------------------
94 Z28 Convertible
68 Camaro SS Clone

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The price is good, but there are heads that are a LOT better for nearly the same money. If kits are your thing and you're on a tight budget - go for it. But personally, I would build my own combo with better parts that are matched specifically for my car.

If you need help finding a combo that works good for your car, post the gear ratio, trans, stall, vehicle weight, and what you'll be using the car for and I'm sure you'll get some great advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I am looking for the budget buildup and trying not to get a fortune wrapped up in the motor. My wife would probably kill me if she knew what I spent on the car anyway. She wants a hot tub, but I'm convinced a new motor for the Camaro is in our best interest!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts