Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a carb for my 400 small block in my camaro and I dont know which way to go. I want a carb that has good performance but also does not have to be adjusted every time I want to drive the car. The car is going to be a driver and not raced. Any responses would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
bout how many horse/rpms? what gears? Holley 750, vac sec. Would be my recomendation. Although a 650 may, or may not give you a little better gas mileage, and throttle response. Im sure other people can give you some good advise. 750 will give you a little more above 6000 rpm. Of course I dont know what size cam etc. you are running. I would list more info on cam size, horse, rpm, gears, etc

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Youll see alot of people reccommending all.
However, I grew up around guys that combined knowledge would have been well over 100 years of experience on cars. I know what they would say and I agree.

Rochester. Yep, an ol Quadrajunk. When set up right (easy enuff to do) you cant beat it for an all around carb.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I have run Holley's on most of my cars, but I must say that there was always some "tweking" involved. My buddy swears on Edelbrock - and I have noted that on the last three cars we have done -- the Edelbrock runs great right out of the box. Note that the cars were "drivers" and not high HP race cars.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Do you like salmon, halibut or ling cod?

Boxers or briefs, or the God-awful thong?

In the hands of the right guy or gal, they can all be excellent carbs. There are a lot of guys on here that love the rotten-chester...also known as the Q-shet. I have one I use as a door stop LOL (easy on me guys). :D For a mild streeter, it's hard to beat the Edel-crock for all around street-ablility, and for someone that doesn't like or know how to tune all that well. Guts are similar to a Q-shet in the use of metering rods. If your motor is a little pumped-up, I like the Holley. Horrible on gas mileage compared to the other two, and can be a little fussy, but great performance carbs. Holleys are like flushing a toilet though.... Just a bunch of gas and air. I have all three but think the performer just might be the easiest "out of the box" to bolt on and go!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts