Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How's it y'all!

I've been working hard on my beautiful disaster and wanted to share something I made and get your thoughts on it. I will warn you that I'm actually building a Firebird and I'm more of a Pontiac guy (*gasp* the horror!).

I will say that I think TeamCamaro is the best place for Ffbody guys so that 's why I joined. Terry's (cheby2) post on his 68 is a constant reference and inspiration.

Anyways, down to business. While peeling back the layers of my rusty onion and falling in to the rabbit hole that has become a total body off resto (my first) I ran in to the issue of how to separate the rear end and front subframe. Plus how to lower it on to the body jig I needed to build. Oh and do it all by myself in a small one stall garage with no driveway. Everything has to have wheels and go back in to the same place every night when I finish. Nothing I could find online was much of a help. I don't have access to a traditional lift or a forklift so I came up with this:

I started with 4 Harbor Freight steel wheel dollies, welded a 12"x12" 1/8" plate to them and them 2 sections of 2"x"2 square tube to the plate. The Unijacks are the crux of the thing and I welded them to the 2"sq tubes. Long sections of 1 3/4" sq tube slide in to the 2x2 and are secured by welded nuts. For safety and stability I wanted the whole thing to be connected so the cross pieces on the ends were made to slide on the end of the long sections that go parallel to the rockers and then I welded 6" sections of 1 1/4" sq tube on top to accept the 1" square tube going under the front and rear of the car respectively (if that doesn't make sense I can elaborate).

The steel tube cross supports lying on top of the jackstand portion was necessary after I removed the subframe and rear end. Prior to that I pulled the stands in to the rockers with a 2x4 in between. The dual tube section goes to the rear and was necessary because of all the flex I was getting with just one. The front of the body isn't nearly as heavy so 1 is sufficient. I also fabbed up what you see on the ends so that the body wouldn't just slide off of the cross supports. The whole thing is very adjustable and can be taken completely apart. It did what I needed it to and now the The Bird is now on it's jig ready for me to do the "real work".

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
It's pretty cool. Got a way to lock the wheels and also to keep the body from sliding on the rails?
I love Pontiacs by the way. My first hot rod was a 65 Tempest with a 455.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's pretty cool. Got a way to lock the wheels and also to keep the body from sliding on the rails?
The wheel dollies from Harbor freight do have two locking wheels each. If you were really worried about the body sliding on the rails you could weld some sections of angle to them as a stop. I didn't find it necessary but it's not a bad idea. This lift was always meant to be temporary until I got my Body Jig finished. Plus it allowed me to build the jig underneath the car to line everything up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and that 65 Tempest with a 455 must have been a mean machine! I dream of a 64 Goat someday...

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Wow that's slick. And for the record Birds are always welcome here at Team Camaro, and mostly all of their owners cousin. :yes:

We know how lucky we are in our Camaro community which has broad forum support and almost full vendor supplies unlike the Pontiac community and in particular the Firebird folks. Welcome. Thanks for the trick setup and maybe start a build thread if you haven't already done so in the builds forum.

Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow that's slick. And for the record Birds are always welcome here at Team Camaro, and mostly all of their owners cousin. :yes:

We know how lucky we are in our Camaro community which has broad forum support and almost full vendor supplies unlike the Pontiac community and in particular the Firebird folks. Welcome. Thanks for the trick setup and maybe start a build thread if you haven't already done so in the builds forum.

Brian
Thanks Brian! It's not a bad idea to start a build thread I suppose. At the very least I show people what not to do.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Well so far you seem to be on the right foot. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts