Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just made a homemade tool for installing an SBC harmonic balancer and it works better than any store bought one I've used before. Here it is:

1 four inch long fine thread 7/16 bolt - grade 5
1 thick 7/16" washer
1 body / frame mount large flat washer
1 body / frame mount channel washer (this is the large steel washer that goes through the center of the big mounts - it looks like a tube with a big flat flare on one end).

The flat end of the channel washer goes against the dampener. It really works good at keeping the dampener square while you are tighteneing the bolt to drive it on the crank. The other two washers just go on the bolt head.

You can also use a socket or a stack of washers if you don't have the body to frame mounts parts laying around.

Any homemade tools you guys like?

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 02-16-2002).]

G

·
If I'm right your saying your screwing it in with the head of the bolt right?

I don't think thats good, I learned on here that to do it that way you are putting to much stress on the threads in the crank. I Learned here to get a foot long peice of all thread and screw that all the way in to the crank that way your useing all the treads of the crank and not just 3 or 4 threads. On the peice of all thread I used the balancers washer and a couple bolts. I then ran the bolts all the way down to the washer and pushed the balancer on, Worked great and had no problems since.

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear
[/list]

[This message has been edited by xodus921 (edited 02-16-2002).]

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony - I'm using a longer bolt, so there are a lot more than 3 or 4 threads engaged - more like 3/4" of threads. If you try using a stock balancer bolt it will be way too short. Also, I use a little grease on the threads so there is no chance of galling the crank threads. I see what you mean though.

[This message has been edited by Eric68 (edited 02-17-2002).]

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Torker and I made a similar tool except that we use a 8" long piece of all thread and a long nut, the same long nut used to hold the rear differential T bolts. The all-thread screws all the way into the crank and the nut, along with 1/2" worth of large diameter washers, pushes on the damper. Two more nuts locked against each other on the end of the all-thread gives someplace to put a wrench to keep things from spinning.

The long nut has more threads so it's easier on the all-thread. ARP moly lube makes the job a bunch easier.

Boiling the damper in water and lubing the crank snout and damper bore makes installation easier.

Throw in a few various lengths of roll bar tubing and now you have a lower timing gear installation tool.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

·
10,164 Posts
Remember allthread from your local hardware store is as weak a steel as there is, probably grade "0". I would be nice to have something stronger.
The biggest danger is breaking off the stud in the crank.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 02-17-2002).]

·
Registered
643 Posts
I was reading this thread and found the idea really useful. McMaster Carr part # xxxxxxx looks like it will do the job. This is a 7'' fully threaded 7/16-14 Grade 5 hex head bolt. I'm going to order one and I'll deliver a report on how it worked out. Should solve any concerns about breakage.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,362 Posts
PA, you'll need a fine thread bolt 7/16-20.

This is also hard to find in an all thread.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Really? I'm surprised to hear that- these guys are talking about regular hardware store all-thread which I think is basic -14. Crank is a -20 thread? thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
643 Posts
BPOS- that is one fine looking contraption! :) thanks man... -20 threads it is... glad to hear that threaded rod does exist in hardened steel. Will keep my eyes peeled.

Oh and for anyone following this thread, I did find a fully threaded bolt in McMaster that is Grade 5 -20 thread... part number 92865A338. It's a six inch bolt which is probably a little short for full comfort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts