Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered that I have 2 different hood hinges on my car (68, plain hood). I brought them home from the body shop to repaint, took the springs off, and noticed the difference -- the heads on the rivets on one are smaller than the other, but otherwise the hinges are very similar. Problem is that the one with the smaller rivet heads has a lot of play in the lower, weight bearing rivets. The hood operates OK, and I had the body guy follow the adjustment procedure posted in this forum, so we got good body panel alignment in the front. However, I am concerned with the amount of play. The other hinge has no play.

So my question is should I go with repros, or send these in to one of the rebuild services, or just live with them? Wondering if it makes sense to have them rebuilt if they are really different mechanically. The markings are as follows:

• Hinge #1: 5 rivets on back side marked K, K, K, B, B. Stamping is AA (except the 2nd A doesn't have the horizontal bar)
  • Hinge #2 (small rivet heads): rivets on back side marked A, A (only 2 rivets are marked) Stamping is EC
Can anyone identify the vintage of these hinges? Are the repros any good? I am not really concerned with originality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I noticed that #1 has rings on the rivet heads, #2 does not. I'm starting to think that #1 is a GM part and #2 is a repro. I have had the car for over 25 years, so it would have to be an old repro?

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,055 Posts
Bob, On my 67 the rivet heads are ~3/4" diameter and have the rings (ridges).
The 3 upper rivets have no letter marking. I can see a rather large deeply stamped "A"
on 2 of the lower rivets. I can't see the 3rd one as they are on the car. If you want to
have them rebuilt send them to Hood Hinge Repair.
HoodHingeRepair.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Al. Are your hinges original?

Clearly my 2 hinges are of different origin, so I'm not sure it would make sense to have them rebuilt. Also, hinge #1 has zero play and is very snug, so doesn't need rebuilding. If it turns out that hinge #2 is indeed GM, I may consider getting it rebuilt, but as I mentioned I suspect it may not be GM. The play is not in the up and down direction (like if the holes were elongated) but rather left/right (or side-to-side when mounted on the car) which seems to be the result of the rivets not being peened over as tightly.

Can anyone please help with more info on the potential origin of these 2 [different] hinges?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Bob, On my 67 the rivet heads are ~3/4" diameter and have the rings (ridges).
The 3 upper rivets have no letter marking. I can see a rather large deeply stamped "A"
on 2 of the lower rivets. I can't see the 3rd one as they are on the car. If you want to
have them rebuilt send them to Hood Hinge Repair.
HoodHingeRepair.com
X2 for Willie at hoodhingerepair. I sent mine to him and he told me mine weren't original so he built some original ones he had for me and they are smooth as butter. He also did the door hinges and they are just as smooth.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Before spending $$, Take the loose hinge and support the flat side of the rivet with a a socket under it, then spread out the other side of the rivet's "X" with a couple of good strikes using a hammer and chisel. spray some white lithium grease on those pivot points. Done a few this way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I did exactly that. Seemed to tighten up the hinge a bit. Still not as tight as the other one, but prob good enough. I'm just going to put these hinges back on the car. We had already drilled 1/8 alignment holes at the body shop before I brought them home, so that's a plus for just using these. I've had them off and on the car multiple times, painted them twice, etc and after 20 years this is the first time I noticed the diff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts