Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my chrome hood hinges with new to get correct look. (69 Z) Two problems. I don't believe they came (Ricks) with correct look, and the springs need to be installed. Any advice on either? Thankx, John

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
They are supposed to be dark gray/black phosphate type coating. I used cast blast rattle can and it came out looking good.

-Mark.

·
3,176 Posts
When you did the springs is there any recommended expanded rate to spray them at and if so how did you spread the coils. I could just hand them and pull to spread the springs and do the ends last but i would like to have something rigged so i can have both hands free when spraying

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Jeff, I saw a tip once where a guy used an engine hoist to stretch the hood srings for paint. Hook one end of the spring to the hoist hook and attach the other end with a small chain to the hoist leg-then raise the hoist "arm" to stretch the spring. I hope that makes sense

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Another way to do it is with a floor jack, hook one end of the spring on the front axle and the other on the jack plate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. Good ideas(as usual. Is "cast blast" what most guys are using for this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts