Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to come up with a way to secure the original metal hood on my 1968 Camaro against thieves/vandals.

I have been using a lock and chain, but this method is cumbersome and requires me to get on the ground each time I need to open the hood.

Other options I have investigated have been DEI's Mechanical Hood Lock with Starter Kill (part numbers: 565T-567T)
http://www.invisibeam.com/products/MechHoodLock.htm

J.C. Whitney sells a similar device too
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=4708

but I am worried about the cable getting broken or gummed up--a concern raised by Wes Vann in his excellent article at
http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref25.html

I have also looked at Wolo’s Model U-80 steel chain hood lock
http://www.wolo-mfg.com/sec.htm

but the quality of the unit appears marginal.

So I thought about trying to use hood pins, but hood pins were dealer-installed options on Camaros with fiberglass hoods.

I found a universal hood lock set at
http://www.maxchrome.com/parts-photos/m4062.jpg
http://www.maxchrome.com/hood-pins-kits.html

that appears to combine the function of hood pins with a keyed locking mechanism.

JC Whitney has a similar unit
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=4706

My questions are

(1) Will this look trashy or stupid on a ’68 Camaro’s hood (does anyone use hood pins on metal hoods, or is that like wearing a belt with suspenders)?

(2) Have any of you used the universal hood lock set? If so, what was its quality like? Were/are you happy with it?

(3) I know I haven’t considered every possible way of securing the hood against car thieves, so if any of you have a suggestion, please let me know.

My criteria have been to retain a stock appearance, minimize modifications to the car (especially drilling holes), prevent unauthorized entrance to the engine bay, and install a unit that is of high quality and provides ease of use.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you more concerned with keeping people out of the engine compartment or keeping someone from stealing the car? If I were more worried about the car I would use an ignition ground and the Grant kit which allows you to remove the steering wheel. I personally am more concerned with someone taking my car rather than parts off the engine.

Steve R.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I've checked with area mobile electronics installers, several have said that any car alarm (with or without starter kill) they install can be more easily defeated if a thief can gain access to the engine compartment without difficulty.

An equal concern I have is with vandalism. Ever so often I hear about someone whose classic suffered engine damage after a vandal dropped a bolt, screw, or nail down the carburetor and the unsuspecting owner started the car.

Also, my car has had its battery stolen while parked in a busy grocery store parking lot (that was before I started using a chain and lock--especially important now that I have an Optima battery in there).

So I'm largely convinced of the necessity of keeping the hood locked; it's just a matter of how I do it for which I need advice.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Run some sort of factory hood latch cable through the firewall and find a way to connect it to the hood release. Drilling holes in your hood is a bad idea, you'll never forgive yourself.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
460 Posts
Jeff sounds like he has the answer to keep the original look as far as the outside is concerned. Sounds like you need to move to a better neighborhood! Doesn't seem like the best environment for a old Camaro

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually the neighborhood is respectable, but several of the neighbors have children who show little respect for other people's property (when a new house was under construction recently, these kids delighted in "exploring" the unfinished house--the builder didn't secure it when leaving each day so the kids could go all over it via the garage--they particularly enjoyed jumping out of the window over the garage).

Anyway, my Camaro was, is, and will be a daily driver so I cannot always be choosy where I take/park it, and besides the battery was stolen out of it in front of a respectable and busy grocery store--evidently someone popped the hood and took the battery without attracting any attention.

Have any of you done what Jeff H suggested (Running some sort of factory hood latch cable through the firewall and connecting it
to the hood release)?

DOUG G, you mentioned that nothing's perfect in regard to the keyed hood lock that you use. Were you indirectly commenting on its quality or just having to drill the holes in your hood? Also, do you have an upclose picture of your hood locks installed that you could e-mail me? I'd like to see how they look on another 68. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
A very simple alarm that will deter most "casual" thieves (like the one at the grocery store) wanting to steal undershood parts is to install a hood alarm. I've done this on other cars I have owned and have an extremely cheap solution.

Get an interior light switch - the ones installed in the door jamb, and install it on the radiator support. Paint it black and use black wires so it is not very noticeable. Adjust the height of the switch so that it is open when the hood is closed. Connect the switch to the horn circuit. When someone opens the hood, the horns go off. If the thief does figure it out, he will be too busy holding the switch down to steal something.

To avoid having the horns go off when you want to get under the hood, add a toggle switch to the circuit and hide it in the interior. When you leave the car, arm the circuit. Hope this helps.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 9/01/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can understand your situation. Over the past 7 years my car has been broken into to steal my stereo system 4 times, even once my air cleaner, valve covers, fuel regulator and gauge have been stolen.

Since my car is a daily driver and also far from stock I have considered hood locks, I am not concerned with drilling in my reproduction cowl hood. Although ever since I have had my Alpine alarm system with Hood and trunk sensors, radar sensor etc. no attempt has been made, but I will feel better knowing I have gone the extra mile to make a thiefs job harder.

If you ever get an alarm system make absolute sure that the power wires to the alarm are run directly to the battery and are not easily accessible from underneath. Thats how they got me the first time, they crawled under the car and just started cutting every wire they could find. Let me know what you end up using. Hope this helps. Sean

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got hood pin locks on my '73. They don't look too bad. They are the kind that use the little round security key. Been running them a few years w/o problems, though I guess they could get clogged with junk, rain doesn't seem to bother them. If you don't care about looks at all, just use a regular hood pin with a padlock. I've seen those on cop cars.
Now, on my '79 I use a different method. I wanted to keep it looking stock. I got a pad lock with a long shackle and use it to hold the hood release tight back to the support. I did have to bend the shackle to make it fit right, used a torch. I carry a piece of carpet in the trunk, because I have to lie down to unlock the hood. But it is quite effective, and doesn't affect the looks at all. A bolt cutter would take it, though.
And I always club both cars, even if just for a while, it's habit. And they both have alarms. I've been security conscious ever since my '88 IROC was stolen and trashed. Always thought it would never happen to me, but it did. Play it safe.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
33,175 Posts
I used a chain and lock and allowed enough slack to catch safety latch to insert key to unlock, worked fine for me. Hide a switch to disable ignition and stater.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My .02---Instead of a chain, I am having a shackle made for my 67 that consists of a round metal tube which will fit over the horizontal part of the hood release handle. This will be welded to a flat bar of 1/4" thick steel with a hole drilled into it--stay with me here--The hole in the steel will match will match with the hole on the lower front end where the bumper guard mounts(I don't have bumper guards). A pin the diameter of this hole will fit through the mounting point and the steel bar/tube combo. Then a pad lock will be inserted through the pin (which has a hole drilled into it) The shackle will not allow the handle to move forward without having to fight the sheet metal and structure involved. Put a rubber piece on the pin before you lock it to keep the rattle down. If set up properly, they won't be able to get bolt cutters on it. It could be broken into with the right tools but it will still take time and besides--they'll have several other surprises waiting. They may as well bring the tow truck-----what's that noise outside.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
PS --I'm the guy who put razor blades on the back of my underdash EQ so that anybody looking for the quick grab would be in for a little treat!

·
Registered
73 Posts
personally, I pull my coil wire so no one can start my car... I'm going to get the locking hood pins.. I don't want people getting into my engine compartment. Just pull the coil wire and lock down the hood.. that seems like it would work, unless a theif just happens to be carrying a coil wire with them.

hope this helps,
Tim

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If your still curious about the hood locks on your car take a peek at mine. I choose to put em on because of the area that I lived in. Las Vegas isn't the safest place to keep anything thats nice. I'm not sure what the #'s are now, but back when I lived there roughly 15 Harleys were stolen from the Hard Rock Cafe parking lot a month. Most of these were chained in place. Classic cars are still a premium there as well and I would only ever park mine infront of the building where it could be seen at all times by the staff inside that I worked with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts