Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a 2" meatal cowl hood, and am curious if anyone else has run hood pins with them? Is it possible to run 4 pins - 2 up and 2 back - and eliminate the hood springs alltogether and just have a hood that lifts off?

Anyone know where to get these or how hard it is/would be to install?

Any experiences with this kind of stuff?

Thanks,
Kyle

·
3,176 Posts
The cowl hood i took of my 68 had the holes cut in it for the front pins. Needless to say its gone. As for can you do the 4 pin setup. would guess YES it could be done on a steel cowl hood. But why??? I'm 6'6" 260 lbs and wouldnt want to have to lift off the entire hood everytime i wanted to get under the hood. Also I am sure you will not always have someone with you when and if the Car breaks. Lifting a heavy steel hood off on the freeway with any wind and you just might have no windshield left or some nice scratches down the body. Think about it long and hard before you delete the hood springs and drill for the rear pins
__
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting...I haven't really thought about how feasible it would be to have 4 pins...so with just two of them all I have to do is drill two holes after I get the hood, then install a kit like I see in the Summit catalog?

Oh - and for painting - the order should be like this right?

1. Drill holes
2. Test fit pin assembly in hood.
3. Paint it
4. Reinstall pin assembly

-Kyle

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
why not gp for a nice light fiber glass hood? i saw one on a friend's 70' camaro he takes it off the car himself it has 4 pins and its very light. just something for you to think about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reason I shy away from fiberglass hoods is that all of the ones I have seen which are driven with any regularity are split, cracked, chipped, and the enamel on them is turning yellow. If there is any way to fix this, let me know. But I am a bit apprehensive to fiberglass hoods right now.

Kyle

·
Registered
166 Posts
Unless you're just out and out gonna race the car I advise against hood pins all together. I've got a car that I'm working on for a friend with the windshield cracked, top dented in, and hood bent all to hell. He claims someone pulled his pins out while it was parked and he didn't notice it when he got back in the car. Of course he is running just pins and no latch. Another thing is that it will screw the value out of a high dollar cowl hood if you've got a steel one. They give a car "racey look" and yes they look cool but I'd rather try and run a sleeper! I've made several trips at WELL over 100mph and have never had a hood even attempt to fly up. I know several would disagree but it's just my personal experience and personal belief.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i ran a fiberglass cowl hood with the hair pin style hood pins on both my 68 and 69 camaro. I used 4 pins on each corner, and under the hood, I use small springs or chevy starter solenoid springs, between the hood and the body, to put a small amount of pressure on the hood and when you pull the pins, these springs pop up the hood for easy removal. I got tired of hitting my head on the steel hood.
just my input.
bruce

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've seen 'glass hoods held on with the 4-pin method bowing in the middle at any kind of freeway speed from underhood pressure.I would stick with steel and the stock latch assembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts