Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood quit popping to the safety catch after I lowered the front rubber feet the hood settles onto. Didn't go down much and it isn't any visible difference. Oh well. Simple cure that time. None of the mechanical problems posted for help were present so I had to try something and it worked. :D
Happy camper

·
Retired
16,004 Posts
Snatching, my hood kept popping open on my first drive home after I bought it. Found out the nut that the large oval pin threads into had broken away from its weld. Had a neighbor tack the nut back in its place, and the hood has never popped open again.
scary isnt it?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started having a constant thought of when is it going to pop up. That and the fear of it going all the way up so I cabled it down with a lock just in case. Makes it a pain to check under the hood but it's lasted a while with out popping so I could probably go without the cable.
Darn right it's spooky.

·
Registered
247 Posts
January of this year I was on the freeway doing about 65mph in the fastlane when my hood flew open. No safety latch or anything - just straight up. Thankfully the hinges held it. I slowed to a stop and got as far to the left as I could.

The shoulder was narrow and the car stuck out into the lane a bit. People were freaked out and were honking - as if I wanted that to happen!

Finally after 10 minutes or so, the CHP came rolling up. After chewing me out for being there (see comment above about my wanting that to happen) they caused a brake in the traffic so I pull over t o the right.

All told, it cost nearly $3000 to fix and decomissioned my car for about two months.

You're right, it was scary. :eek:

·
Retired
26,601 Posts
I'm not faulting you but it's because you pulled over to the left as opposed to the right... Text book says in the event of an emergency pull to the right sholder... Nobody takes into consideration what it must be like trying to drive on the freeway with no view out the front of the car. They just see you as pulled over to the left where there is no room and go from there.

You got really lucky that hood didn't fold at the hinges... I wouldn't want to be the one doing your laundry!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not trying to highjak this thread, but I remember seeing a hood open unexpectedly on a 66 ford mustang that was doing about 40 mph. The hood got launched about 70 feet straight up and crashed down into oncoming trafic where it was run over several times before trafic finaly drove around it. I was thinking the whole time [email protected] that could happen to me in my Camaro.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts