Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been 2 years since i bought the Super Comps but my problem is I cant get them to fit? Do I remove the steering box or do I unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine? I cant get the left hand header in.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey stenn5;

It's been about two years since I put my super comps on my car. Mine's a 69 Z with a 502 stuffed in it. I know I didn't take the steering box off. I had both motor mounts unbolted and the engine held by a hoist and lifted it up enought to slip the headers in around the steering box. I layed some rags down on the box and the bolts sticking out of the upper control arm so as not to scratch the ceramic coating. You will probably have to lift the motor about two inches at least to clear. But they look so nice once yyou're done it's well worth the effort. Good Luck!!
John

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey Mike,

I had a 69 with the same set up 383 and 700r4 with power steering. I bought a set of dynomax ceramic coated headers and they slipped in without a hitch. I didnt even have to disconnect the motor mount. Just put the pass side in from the top and the driver side in from the bottom. Fit like a glove with no interference. Only difference was on the pass side I used a mini starter, but I dont think you would have a problem with the stock starter. As far as the super comps on a big block, for the other post, did you get them ceramic coated? or does hooker sell them that way? I have a 68 bigblock now and want to slip in headers but want something that will fit for sure without banging them up. My car also sits about 1 inch lower than stock.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,668 Posts
Not sure what brand of header I have for my small block, but I had to unbolt the driver's side motor mount, lift the engine toward the passenger side with a hoist, and carefully put the header in from underneath the car.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
my 1 5/8 headers went in from below on the dr. side no problem, by my 1 3/4 super comps were a mother. i had to get the car up in the air for room underneath, then jacked up the motor on the pass. side (unbolt motor mount) to slide the header in. on mine, i had to slightly ding a clearance for the pitman arm, but no major deal. just check it out. once they are in there they fit sweet, i love mine. of course the pass side is a piece o cake, as long as you dont have ac. oh yeah, mine is a smallblock, with power steering, and a kicked out pan (that may be why getting mine up in there was a pain), 1 3/4 s/c's for angle plug heads. straight plug headers would probably be easier, since they sit tighter to the block, i believe. hope that helps, good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts