Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a new battery and it died because my alternator isn't working. I think i have the wires wrong. I have a thick red wire and a thin green and yellow wire going to the back of it. I know where the red goes and the green and yellow are side by side and plug into 2 male prongs but I dont know if the green goes on the left or right prong?? The orientation would be looking at the back of the alternator while holding it with the 2 male prongs at 12:00.

·
Retired
16,017 Posts
have you gone thru the 'sticky' notes at the top of this forum yet? Your diagrams are there for troubleshooting :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like its internal. The prongs are vertical ( | | ). I can't remember if the green wire goes on the left or right. This alternator did fine for 3yrs. I just got done rebuilding the engine and all of a sudden my alternator hasn't worked since the rebuild. I'm getting it tested tonight.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If the terminals look like this l l it's externally regulated. The internally regulated terminals look like this - -.
Find the regulator on the driver's side of the radiator support and slide the plug off. Then pull the green and yellow wires off of the alt. Using an ohm meter to check continuity find out which alt. wire is connected to the top wire on the regulator plug. With the front of the alt. facing you this wire goes on the left terminal. Plug the rest of the wires back in and you should be alright.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
12run,
Yep, my mistake.. I meant external and posted the wrong thing. I gotta question just to eliminate confusion. Since there are different locations of the prongs. Right and left would depend on if they were at 6:00 or 12:00. When I 'm looking at the front of the alternator (fan side) are you referring to a 12 oclock prong position. I know that the prongs are listed as F (for field) and R (for Stator?)

·
Registered
819 Posts
I was refering to the twelve o'clock position with the terminals pointing up. Left one is "F".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts