Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some guy thought it needed a fancy steering wheel so took off old one. Horn setup looks like it is all there,,,new and shiny. Took cheapo horn button off and was a black wire inside taped on the end instead of hooked on terminal. Put it on terminal and still nothing.

Thought oh well must be the fuse. A trip under the dash revealed everything BUT a horn fuse.

Where do I go from there?? where does wire go,, all the way thru steering column?? where is the fuse? How hard is a NOS steering wheel and horn set up to find??

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Re: horn dont work-cant find fuse even

There's no fuse on the horn. The black wire touches ground when the button is pressed. This provides the ground on the horn relay (which is also a power junction point) by the radiator which will pull in since the coil positive is always hot. Touch the black wire to the steering shaft and see what you get. If nothing, search on here for "horn" and there's a whole list of stuff to check. It's a good way to kill a day (or two).....

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Many aftermarket steering wheels do not make good enough contact with the horn plate inside the steering column. I know my Momo didn't till I made my own longer contact.

As Steiner said search the forums for "horn" as there is a great picture of the horn relay that denotes what each wire is. This is where I started and found that I could jump +12vdc to the right connector on the relay my horn would blow so I knew the horn and relay were good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts