Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a wood grain steering wheel kit from classic industries and got everything installed and it doesn't work. This is what I did so if I did something incorrect please tell me.

1) Installed new delco horns and new horn relay.
2) Installed plastic horn contact that goes between the steering wheel hub and the turn signal switch. I made sure that the spring loaded mechanism on the turn signal switch was in contact with the backside of the plastic horn contact piece.
3) I installed the new steering wheel hub.
4) I put the spring and tab piece inside the plastic tube that comes through the steering wheel hub.
5) Installed the steering wheel.
6) Installed the metal horn contact that mounts on the new steering wheel and made sure it was in contact with the spring loaded piece that is inserted through the steering wheel hub.
7) Installed horn cap. Pressed it and nothing.

Are all of the pieces supposed to be in constant contact? How does the horn actually work? When I push down on the horn there is very little give.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
:) Glad it works.
The horn wire actually grounds to activate the horn relay which closes its circuit to send full load to the horns. Even if the horns are not hooked up to the relay you will hear it clicking every time the horn button grounds and closes the circuit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I have felt kinda defeated over the last few days so it was good to actually have something work when I finished:).

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yeah. You picked a real PITA project to do. But trial by fire and you survived. Next project you pick to do should be easy compared to this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts