Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story but I'm having problems with my horn, I know the horns work and I know I have good 12v - definitely an issue with the ground in the column. I've pulled the ground wire from the OE signal switch and am trying to get the horns to fire with a jumper. When I ground to the column, I get nothing. When I ground to the inside/unpainted part of the column, horns still don't work - but I get a spark from the wire. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Brian - Do you hear the Horn Relay click if you disconnect the actual green horn wires from it then ground the horn button lead? If no click dead relay and you can either replace it or try to clean and re-service it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm I just finished an AAW rewire using their classic update series. Since that change, I haven't ever heard the relay. It's essentially brand new.

·
14,090 Posts
Hmmm I just finished an AAW rewire using their classic update series. Since that change, I haven't ever heard the relay. It's essentially brand new.

The AAW Classic Update comes with its own horn relay that plugs in under the dash. The OEM horn relay and voltage reg are scraped.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right... So I plug a test lead into the ground on the AAW harness at the steering column and ground it - no horn action. Bad relay?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Sounds like it. Call AAW for a replacement.

·
14,090 Posts
Pull the relay and test it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... New relay in. When I ground the test lead to the column, I can hear the relay click over but no horn. Any thoughts on next steps?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So if I hear the relay clicking over, the circuit is getting completed and the problem is likely with the horns themselves?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
So if I hear the relay clicking over, the circuit is getting completed and the problem is likely with the horns themselves?

Yes - it's very common for them to get stuck (for lack of a better term)

You can confirm the relay is working by removing the green wire plug from the relay to the horns and putting a test light in place. Push the horn button and the test light should illuminate.

You can also check the contacts in the green wires to the horns for cleanliness, as well as make sure the horns have a good ground connection where they bolt to the hood latch.

Odds are best though that the problem is with the horns themselves if you can hear the relay cllick

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Brian - or just test each horn by supplying direct positive to the green lead and make sure you have a good ground to the body of the horn. You stated in your first posting that you knew the horns were good and working before the wire harness swap. So we all skipped this test.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many thanks to all, much appreciated. I ran a test lead from battery positive to both horns with no action. I'll go ahead and get my steering wheel back on so I can drive to the parts store for some horns.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Did you paint or otherwise prevent the horns from grounding through their mounts? Worth a second of your time to hook a test lead alligator clip to negative post and test again.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny story... So I gave up on the horns figuring I'd figure them out later. Went ahead and wires the horn button and installed the steering wheel. Right as I was closing the garage around 10pm last night, the horns spontaneously go off and don't stop until I drop the negative cable in the battery. Not real popular in my neighborhood or my house right now. But hey, my horns work again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts