Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to be sure of horn positions on a 69 camaro.According to Assembly manual (Pg.156) it appears that the High note goes on Left side and Low note goes on Right side. I E- mailed John Z. about it and he told me the horns should point outward. If you do according to assembly manual they are pointed more inwards. Am I reading the assembly manual wrong or is the assembly manual wrong? Thanks! Larry

·
11,918 Posts
I cant remember the orientation, but look at the spade connectors on the horns. When mounted the wrong way the connectors are pointing the wrong way to put the harness on clean. The spade connectors should be pointing to the rear, not the front.

Of course this only works for original 289 and 290 horns with original wiring harness.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
There were lots of horns that were identical except for the orientation of the electrical spade connectors, and the orientation/ shape of the attachment bracket. As Kevin says, look for the numbers on the rom of the horns to see if they are 289 and 290.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the right numbered horns, when I put them on as in the assembly manual they point more backwards and not forward . Please check your number on your horns and tell me which number is on right and left. I will bet your numbers are in different sequence than in assembly manual.I swear I put them on according to number in assembly manual and got giged a point. I don't want to gigged again this year for the same mistake! Many Thanks! Larry

·
Registered
893 Posts
69Rfine said:
I have the right numbered horns, when I put them on as in the assembly manual they point more backwards and not forward . ....
I'm pretty sure they're supposed to point very slightly backwards.
If I remeber right, that was done to keep rain out of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took a look at mine and here is what i saw . The horns are both mounted at a 45 degree angle outwards facing forward ,with the angle endcut of the under mounted straps running with the centre line of the car . When you are standing in front of the car facing the engine, The right horn has a single spade tip facing rearwards with two wires connected to it .The left horn has the spade tip facing forward towards the horn bellows and has a single wire attached. Both spade tips are at the central underside of the horns. I can provide pics if you wish .
hope this helps .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Right they point slightly forward. If you look at the hood latch plate where the horns are attached you can see the guides that are molded into the metal. this is the plate that goes from the radiator core support to the header panel. The horn mounts follow this angle.

·
Registered
893 Posts
One more thing to fix on mine then...:D

Has anyone seen the new Delco Remy repo horns that Groundup is selling ?
The description says exact reproduction, but the brackets don't look right.

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
The horns on my 69 were facing forward in 1980 and were never off the car. The high note is on the pass side and the low note is on the drivers side right now. I had The Horn Works rebuild them and Gary from The Horn Works said the reason why most of these horns dont work is because they were forward facing and took all the elements into them.
There is a difference in wiring if you exchange each side. The factory assembly manual shows the drivers side wiring going to the rear of the horn. If I was to take the pass side horn and put it there it would go towards the front side of the horn and it would be a stretch for there to be enough slack in it to hook up.

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone! So the assembly manual is incorrect! I thought I had gone off of the assembly manual last year and then got giged a point. I tore the car apart again this year and needed to know for sure this year.I would hate getting giged a point again for something that takes 2 minutes to change! Again thanks for all of you whom took the time in answering this question! I will be taking my car through the 5,000 point judging next week at the A.C.A. Camaro Nationals , so wish me luck! Team Camaro has been the most important factor this year in getting my car ready! Such a vast amount of knwledge here! Larry

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the humour! believe me I needed that! But better yet why not clean and wax my car when I'm not looking! Boy,would that one really get me! Again, a big thanks to all that helped me this year! What a great help everyone has been! Larry

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Well I just got mine today in the mail from Ground Up and yes, of coarse, the brackets are mounted wrong. There upside down and in the wrong location. I thought just maybe something I bought would be correct and then I saw the tag on them, made in Taiwan. Right over the AC Delco stamp. So I either send them back or rebend the brackets and disassemble the horns and move the base around. Of coarse the brackets are welded.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.