Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 camaro horn isn't working, In june with a grant steering wheel system some how the black cover started to rub against the top of the colunm which caused the little cooper button on the turn cam to break, had a new turn cam replaced. After hooking the wiring plugs up, no horn, got 12 volts to the little cooper button, test light to the cooper button it lights, touch a wire to a ground and cooper button it looks like the spring under the cooper button glows, wire from the battery to the horns they work what am I missing

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
The horn button grounds the horn relay so even if the actual horns are dead you should hear the click as hi ground the button. The horn relay then closes to direct full voltage from the horn relay to the horns. IMHO the spring should not be glowing only 12 volts should be passing from it to the relay. Is it possible full battery voltage is being sent from the relay to the steering via the ground wire?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the button with a volt meter got 12 volts , no horn when grounding the button only the spring glows behind the button

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think you mite have the green and black wires at the relay reversed or your relay is shorting to the ground. the black wire should be next to the screw that holds the relay on the rad support. the cooper button is negative so it shouldn't have any voltage there.
another thing you can try is unplug the turn signal switch under the column and with a trouble light grounded touch the black wire going forward to wards the relay see if the horn honks from there.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My 67 camaro horn isn't working, In june with a grant steering wheel system some how the black cover started to rub against the top of the colunm which caused the little cooper button on the turn cam to break, had a new turn cam replaced. After hooking the wiring plugs up, no horn, got 12 volts to the little cooper button, test light to the cooper button it lights, touch a wire to a ground and cooper button it looks like the spring under the cooper button glows, wire from the battery to the horns they work what am I missing

As you can see, the horn relay involves simple connections which apply the full battery voltage to one of three circuits. #1 is the hot wire from the battery. #2 black wire goes to the horn button...This creates a circuit for the electromagnet which pulls in the contactor to blow the horns through circuit #3 green wire. #4 pink/black wire completes the buzzer warning circuit through the door switch when the key is pushed into the ignition switch. When the horn button is depressed, full battery voltage feeds the coil in the electromagnet causing it to pull the contactor bar which in turn touches the horn contact. By the way, there are no current limiting resistors in any of these circuits, therefore, if the horn button is held in the contact position, the small diameter spring will get hot and glow as it will act as a current limiting resistor and perform as a light bulb. The design of the horn circuit is such that a momentary contact is all that is necessary for use. The spring will not get hot and glow in this short period of time. Check your wiring to make sure all is well :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts