Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a rebuilding service for horns? I have read the past posts and it doesn't seem like the kits from Zip work very well.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The best suggestion I have heard is to mount a nice non-working set of horns in the proper place and then hide a set of working aftermarket horns under the fender. That's what I am going to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I read that in an earlier post but, was thinking I would have to drill holes into something and really didn't want to do that. I may have to though, if I can't get the originals rebuilt. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just tried to call Larry and he is out of town until Monday. The lady I spoke to said that he does rebuild horns. Sounds like I found my rebuilder. Thanks Kurt.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Kurt, what's the cost?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have no idea what the cost is. I didn't think Larry did the horns himself. I thought he sent them out to someone but I could be wrong. I was talking to him one day (quite a while ago) and he made mention of being able to repair horns or get them repaired. I didn't have any that needed repairing at that time so I didn't ask him about cost. You'll have to call and ask him. I would be curious as to what the cost is though. I now have one extra 69 camaro horn that only works when it wants to, and then it sounds a little sick.

[This message has been edited by kurt6325 (edited 11-06-2002).]

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Best GM horn rebuilder in the business is Dennis Portka in New York, (716) 649-0921; all our NCRS guys use him.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Don't have those horns rebuilt without trying this! Just spray some Liquid Wrench in the horns and let them sit for about three days or so. Make sure that you rotate the horn so that the liquid follows the spiral to the inside. If you can't get liquid wrench (It's a liquid you spray on seized rusted bolts) use diesel fuel. Not WD40. Allow for this stuff to soak in well. I have resurected many rare horns this way. As long as the horn is not completely rotten or bent out of shape, this will work.
Good Luck
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts